Studio Reference Amplifier

Ok, who does not have a draft ? :D
This is rare - 3 layouts for one very new amplifier.

Attachments

• FR100-Draft_01.jpg
    FR100-Draft_01.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 1,095
I've got a couple questions about the FR100. There is a 100R resistor in each rail ahead of the front end. No watt designation so I would assume 1/4W. However after that there are 1k/2W resistors connecting to 100k/.250W ending at the output. There are also 4u7/160V caps.

Can one of you help me understand how the 1k is 2w when it follows a 100R/.250W resistor?
Also why are those two caps 160V when the rails are likely +-50V?

Thanks, Terry

Attachments

• APEX FR100 current.jpg
    APEX FR100 current.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 1,057
I'm trying to learn. I'm not being coy. I don't understand why 160V is warranted.
I also don't understand how the 2W resistor comes into play. What does this part of the circuit do? Just looking to understand better.

Maybe it's to enforce 0V DC offset on the output?

2W for 1k resistors, because when starting and 4.7uF caps are being charged, they can be treated as short, so there will be
full rail voltage on these resistors?
E.g. for 50V rails that would be 2.5W (for very short time).

Last edited:
Maybe it's to enforce 0V DC offset on the output?

2W for 1k resistors, because when starting and 4.7uF caps are being charged, they can be treated as short, so there will be
full rail voltage on these resistors?
E.g. for 50V rails that would be 2.5W (for very short time).
Yes but wouldn't that same current be going through the 1/4w 100R resistor?

I've got a couple questions about the FR100. There is a 100R resistor in each rail ahead of the front end. No watt designation so I would assume 1/4W. However after that there are 1k/2W resistors connecting to 100k/.250W ending at the output. There are also 4u7/160V caps.

Can one of you help me understand how the 1k is 2w when it follows a 100R/.250W resistor?

Thanks, Terry

I think it's for pushing IPS voltage few volt higher than OPS. You have look at voltage swing of output mosfets and charging, discharging of 4u7/160V caps.

Apex FR100 Multisim

Thanks, Terry

May be with this simulation can help you to understand.

Regards,

Attachments

• vpp.png
    vpp.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,042
  • APEX FR100 Multisim.zip
    565.1 KB · Views: 176

Thanks, Terry
It looks like bootstrap (suplly voltage is than signal dependant) circuit for input and VAS, in order to increase output swing. But values are very "strange".

1K/2W + 4,7u/160V with 100R/250mW resistor make a simple bootstraping circuit.
Main split power supply and amp output are feeding that bootstrap power supply
when we are close to the max output voltage swing (levels 70% -100% max out swing).

If we look upper bootstrap when the output voltage is negative and close to the negative rail,
the 4,7uF capacitor is charged/discharged through 1K resistor which is also a inrush current limiter,
so the capacitor see +60VDC on one side (positive rail) and -50-55Vpeak on the other side (Output)
so is charged to almost double the rail voltage, that is cca at 100-120VDC.

If we choose +/-60VDC power supply then choose also 60+60=120V > 160V capacitors

Inrush currents for that capacitor can be 50 - 150+mApeak, so we take at least 2W resistor (1K resistor),
proportionaly like @minek123 explained : 50mA*50mA*100R=0,25W and put there a 1/2W resistor!

The bootstrap circuit helps front stage to drive the output stage almost to rail-to-rail output voltage swing,
so the output voltage clipping occurs almost at full rail voltages, like @BV and @sonal kunal explained.

LP
Dragan

P.S. The values are OK! Look @Kuntarman simulation, ...perfect!

cca=circa=approximative

Last edited:
Yes, there are a time constant...

Bootstrap circuit or Bootstrap Voltage Source is formed "slowly" by this time constant

RC_charg = (1K+100R)*4,7uF ... in few miliseconds,
but it is formed (the bootstrap voltage) already and long before the output stage demands a higher voltage driver swing
to put per-se voltage swing almost to the rails.

Bootstrap is then acting like a voltage source

(and for brief time we can say (quasi)constant) with 1K limiting resistor towards input/front stage with 35mJ @cca120VDC energy storage,
so if we need some higher energy demands say predominant @100Hz bas with some other mid-high freq superponed but not that amplitude levels,

with PSU +/-60VDC, with IPS demands for 72VDC (to fully drive the out stage),
and with bootstrap voltage "floating" around 120VDC,
the bootstraping can deliver almost 50mApeak to IPS,
and there are plenty current reserves in the bootstrap background waiting for delivery

Try this, with overvoltage protection towards fPS/front stage:

Zener voltage= maxU_rail + 15V

Attachments

• FR100 Bootstrap.jpg
    FR100 Bootstrap.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 1,592
Last edited:

Thanks, Terry
calculate their currents and volts drops. Multiply to arrive at Pdiss.
I tried giving this same advice a few days ago and you just accepted another Member doing the work for you.