Rebuilding/Enhancing Denon Stereo Amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I have in my posession a Denon stereo power amplifier found at a yard sale for 3 dollars. This thing employs a HUGE torroidal power transformer. I cannot remember the details of the specs right now, but I will be posting them shortly.

I repaired the thing by replacing shorted output transistors. Now I am thinking about keeping it, but I want advice on how I could maximize sound quality. The chassis is metal with particle board/vinyl overlay sides. These sides are badly damaged and I plan to make new ones with MDF, and a finish not yet decided. The boards are somewhat damaged. Signs of liquid wear, and caked with some kind of moist dust that smells toxic. The front panel consists of two VU meters and a power button. Therefore, if I'm not satisfied, I can at least gut the insides and build something entirely different using the chassis.

This will be a project for the hell of it. I have no experience finishing wood, so that is one thing I will be learning.

One obvious improvement to the sound quality can presumably be accomplish by replacing electrolytic capacitors with high quality audio grade types. Any other conventional universal tips?

I will be posting more details, including the most important, the model number of the unit.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Post some pictures :)

PCB's come up like new if sprayed with foam cleaner and a soft paint brush used to work it into all the parts etc... honest... I've done that to countless TV's over the years... it was the day job :)
Rinse with warm water, use paper towel to get as much of the water up as poss and dry totally. Try and get water out from between IC legs if possible... distilled water might not leave a residue. Compressed air too if you have a source to blast the water out.

Only parts to be wary of are mechanical items of course, and trimmer caps and coils such as in RF circuits.

Wouldn't wet the mains tranny... it would take ages to dry.

Post some pictures :)

PCB's come up like new if sprayed with foam cleaner and a soft paint brush used to work it into all the parts etc... honest... I've done that to countless TV's over the years... it was the day job :)
Rinse with warm water, use paper towel to get as much of the water up as poss and dry totally. Try and get water out from between IC legs if possible... distilled water might not leave a residue. Compressed air too if you have a source to blast the water out.

Only parts to be wary of are mechanical items of course, and trimmer caps and coils such as in RF circuits.

Wouldn't wet the mains tranny... it would take ages to dry.

Oh yes, will definitely be cleaning the PCB's. They will hopefully be like new when I'm done with them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.