Newbie question capacitors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2010, 02:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Default Newbie question capacitors

In a typical Japanese or wherever integrated or power amp there are usually two big caps or cans that stick up above the rest. 8200 uf 50v or 63v seem to be typical, my question is where are there articles about just these caps, what to replace them with, what brands are good, lousy and otherwise?
I don't even know what to call them. Power caps?

Thanks, Tom
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:08 PM   #2
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member
CBS240's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: K-town
Power supply filter caps. They filter the bridge rectifier output to create DC. I would generally replace them with the same value as opposed to increasing value in a Chip amp circuit because sometimes the designer counts on voltage depleation to limit SOA to prevent failue. If the amp is older, the same value modern cap may be physically smaller.
All the trouble I've ever been in started out as fun......
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 03:17 PM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Scottish Borders
go to ESP.
he has whole articles on assembling and designing Power Supply Units (PSU).
regards Andrew T.
Sent from my desktop computer using a keyboard
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 05:05 PM   #4
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member
Join Date: May 2007
Strictly speaking, many of them are reservoir capacitors not filter capacitors.

If you don't know what they do, why do you want to change them? What is it about your amp that you want to improve?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 05:50 PM   #5
ferynov is offline ferynov  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
ferynov's Avatar
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Borneo
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via Yahoo to ferynov
replace with japanese or better german caps (mundorf,siemens)uk,us caps..
-Best Regards-
diy blog
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BP vs. NP capacitors - newbie chameleoned Instruments and Amps 8 26th April 2009 05:56 PM
newbie, needing help with vintage capacitors? Joshua_j Parts 8 10th April 2009 06:32 PM
Newbie: Help finding 560nF capacitors for electronic crossover? americantabloid Parts 6 26th July 2007 10:38 AM
newbie with input tran. question and wiring question imo Solid State 0 18th January 2006 10:10 PM
newbie post, but hopefully not a newbie question wiredcur Solid State 3 24th August 2002 10:49 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:38 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2