Diy audio popular amps simulations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For me , the only real way to have a "shootout" between topologies is to build my modular voltage boards and plug them in one at a time. maybe do it in a semi-objective fashion , 1 week of the blameless , 1 week of the next ... etc.

The only correlation I can really hear is in very different topologies , symasym Vs. a basic bootstrap amp (like original DX , no CCS). Much better stereo imaging ... this is a no brainer for 2 reasons ... better PSRR and much lower HF distortion ... the sym will win by design.

I do something different now and it reflects the real world. Measure the THD harmonics just short of clipping at 1k / 10k/ 20k. The blameless and the leach will "spit" out lots of 5/7/9th in this setup while the sym and my GX will retain the dominant 2nd or at least have equal H2/3 , so will the bootstrap topo's like the DX amps.
The only attempts to address this issue I have seen in the "wild" are the electrocompiant amps which drive a leach with a symasym(single ended driving a fully complimentary). That is a lot of devices to use hoping to cancel out both even and odd harmonics (30 ??? or more) Not a good DIY endeavor.
The hawksford cascode does just about the same job with far fewer devices. I would not bother with it if I was not not VERY impressed.

So some topologies will sound better with different material ,but I am looking for one that sounds best with them all.
I might add that the differences are highlighted as you increase wattage and the quality of the loudspeakers.
OS

Last edited:
Hi Wahab,

I wonder if you would like to include tolerance analysis into your simulations. Like transistor beta mismatch, device nonlinear capacitances etc.

Best regards,

HI, Pavel

Agree on the usefulness of making a monte carlo computation ,
but i just admit that it would have been too time consuming,
not counting that we would have ended with 3D graphs which
are somewhat not easy to interpret for not used DIYers ,
so i elected to limit the sim to a few parameters.

Anyway, i ll give it a try if ever i ve got some time left.

regards,
w

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pavel,
Your concerns are well worth considering of course, especially your point about FFT figuring too strongly in an assessment of an amplifier. It is but one guideline among many. I had no intention to suggest that this is all the information someone may need.

I use FFT to find problems, although with practice and more information you can get a very rough idea what an amplifier might sound like. As always, a listening test or just living with the amplifier for a while is a basic step.

-Chris

Next is an old design that is still well alive, i.e, Leach amp,
is compared to the winner of the first round..
Surprinsingly, despite its age, the old guy
is still relatively good.

The sims are made using modern devices, as
this allow valuable comparisons.
The Leach amp is good project, but choices of transistors can impair performance (0,2%- 20KHz in site the Prof M.Leach). Advantage of this amplifier is speed (60 Vus) more suitable for powerful amplifiers.

What was the Bias of the output TR's in simulation?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Pavel,
I wonder if you would like to include tolerance analysis into your simulations. Like transistor beta mismatch, device nonlinear capacitances etc.
Now there is a sticky mess waiting for someone to step in! In this thread at any rate. :)

I like your suggestion, and this has been bounced around before in various threads. I think the proper place for this would be in it's own thread. That might give us a feel as to how important these things are. From experience, I know it makes a difference in the diff pair and especially in the complimentary differential pair setup (where it's even more important). So finding out where the sensitive spots are in each topology might be an extremely informative exercise. It might also explain why some people like one design and others not. Execution can mean everything - or not.

Seeing which designs are sensitive to mismatch would be interesting. Putting some rough numbers on that might also allow people to figure out whether to worry about it or not as well. Both Douglas Self and Morgan Jones (transistor and tube) touched on this in their books. I think Bob Cordell probably will also. This has very probably been explained in several other electronics text books dealing with signal amplification, and simply examining the basic properties of the differential, or long tailed pair, will show that this is at least of some concern.

I would love to see a thread on this topic. Now all we need is someone who knows how to run simulations and has the time to go "cook" some numbers for us.

-Chris

Last edited:
While Wahab's simulations and results are useful, there is 2 much happening dynamically with amplifiers for such a simple simulation to judge it's sound. Personally i would like to see more listening from those that design and build instead of just pure simulations and it does appear most here don't even listen to their designs, instead satisfying there onus from some hyphenated simulation or playing them back thru the most inadequate of transducers and or setup ...

I'm sure some real world testing of power and distortion measured across a proper load 8,4,2, .. sine and Square wave @ 20 ,1K,20K, 100 K et al. is not 2 difficult . You guys have some if not most of these amplifiers already built there is no reason for not bench testing as a follow up to simulations....

regards,

The Leach amp is good project, but choices of transistors can impair performance (0,2%- 20KHz in site the Prof M.Leach). Advantage of this amplifier is speed (60 Vus) more suitable for powerful amplifiers.

What was the Bias of the output TR's in simulation?

About 70mA per pair, since i simmed with two pairs.

The leach amp is somewhat dated , prove is the triple
emitter follower ,typical of a time where you could
barely achieve a 2K Hfe using a double EF once the current
reached a pair of A...
True that his VAS has low Iq , rendering the triple EF mandatory,
but at the expense of stability...

This will also give us some better ways to correlate what we see in simulations to what we listen to, also correlate what we see in simulations and what has been measured in the real world, it would be more interesting this way.

Yes , it would .....................

In continuation to THD analysis, the second
batch is about clipping behaviour , step response
in resistive and capacitives loads.

First tries are for the AX2, Blame ES , Apex ultimate
and ESP P3A...

Thanks Wahab , Most interesting if accurate ..............

Wahab is doing us a service. The more simulations we see of readily available DIY amps, the more correlation can be drawn between schematic and sound quality.

This also goes to the heart of the thd and the model debates, of course. Every year the models get better......

Hugh
Yes, I agree with AKSA.
Comparing amplifiers using some numbers is more productive
than some individuals discussing the sound they experience.
At least this is what I have found.

On the other hand we should not make 8 Ohm THD at 2 frequencies at one power level too important.
There are plenty of more numbers and other things that can make an amplifier we like.
----------------------------------------------
Some other things to weigh into:
- Bandwidth & Phase
- Can it cope with heavy loads
- How handle complex, capacitive, reactive loads/loudspeakers
- How behave at Clipping, Overdrive
- Safety, Current, power limiting
- DC Offset stability
- Noise and noise immunity
- What parts are used. Easy to find replacements.
- Power Supply sensitivity, PSRR, CMRR
-------------------------------

Generally speaking there IS OFTEN A CORRELATION
between low THD and a good amplifier.
With some few exceptions.

(Take for example some of Nelson Pass's amps.
We can not truthfully say they are very low in THD.
Still it would be totally unfair to say they are bad amplifiers.)
A designer that strive for low distortion is most often intrested in quality regarding most everything.

I applaude Wahab's topic & work.
Interesting and we have always something new to learn.

Regards Lineup

I agree with lineup - THD figures in isolation are meaningless.

I would rather see IM figures swept from idle to full-power and clipping behavior.
It would also be nice to see the THD spectra swept from idle to full-power to identify the designs that minimize the generation of 5th and higher-order harmonics.

Hi, Wahab,
Long awaited comparisons.
As the model I built was DX Blame ST (not ES), I ask you to kindly try to simulate this amplifier against AX, Ultimate Fidelity, Symasym and/or any other one you think would be useful.
The reasons are:
1) I intend to built another different amplifier;
2) More than 50 guys are building DX Blame ST right now, and this would be an useful tool, also for learning purposes.
Thank you.
All the best,
Max.

Hi, Smartx

There should be no great difference between the two
designs you mentioned.
For comparison with Symasym, you can use the existing
graphs , since the scale is strictly the same..

Wahab, can you also do the comparison of ostripper's symasym and Leach amp? If you get a chance, just curious how it look.

Ostripper s AX work very well, set apart some minors
design rework needed.
In my tries, i did find his Symasym version no better
globaly than the AX.
The leach amp is not the better version of a symetrical
differential , as it is devices dependant in respect to
stability.

regards,

w

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.