Anyone with Carver pm-350 diagram? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2010, 11:12 AM   #1
pgrad is offline pgrad  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Anyone with Carver pm-350 diagram?

I'm fixing Carver pm-350. I have a problem with power supply. I think that somebody tried to repair it earlier with no effects. So i think that some of elements may not be original. Sorry for my english. Thanks for reply.
Old 1st September 2010, 11:41 PM   #2
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the whole Service Manual, PM me with your email.

Craig
Old 5th September 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much for service manual. Without this I would not fix this amplifier.
Old 5th September 2010, 09:16 PM   #4
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

You're welcome, keep us updated on your findings.

Craig
Old 13th September 2010, 05:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had to change some of elements (R2, R11, Cny 17-2) and to correct wiring form transformer. I've do this, but this amp still not working. There is no voltage on the triac (MT2). The wires from the transformer green and white, green and brown, blue and white, blue and brown are separated (or burned?), is that OK? I don't know for what are wires white and brown...
Old 14th September 2010, 01:16 AM   #6
m2003br is offline m2003br  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrad View Post
I had to change some of elements (R2, R11, Cny 17-2) and to correct wiring form transformer. I've do this, but this amp still not working. There is no voltage on the triac (MT2). The wires from the transformer green and white, green and brown, blue and white, blue and brown are separated (or burned?), is that OK? I don't know for what are wires white and brown...
usually Carvers from PM1.5 family have a transformer with 4 wires: green/blue/brown/white for the dual primary and 7 wires: yellow/orange/red/black/red/orange/yellow for secondary coil.

there are 2 primary coils wich is to be connected in parallel for 120V. green with brown and blue with white.
green and brown conected to toroidal choque, after the control pcb, and white and blue conected on MT2 of triac.
If your wires are of two colors each, simply measure the continuity between wires, to determine what is each half of the primary.
if you need more help, send me (by PM) a copy of service manual, for cross comparision with my personal notes about that transformers.

Hope it help.

Marcos
Old 14th September 2010, 07:16 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

You're right, becouse the brown and white wires are shorted in 240V, and paralleled with blue and white in 120V version. So my next question is: how I can check if triac (alternistor) q2025p is not burned? Now, on gate is 240V, on MT1 is 245V and on MT2 is 0V... so there is no voltage on primary coil.
Old 30th September 2010, 02:49 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I've repaired the regulator board. The amplifier starts. I have problem with regulation of voltage (placed on amplifier board). I've replaced 4558d (U1) but with no effect. Voltage on the U1(1) is 7V DC -this is to much I think. With regulation cutted off: secondary voltage is 56V DC and this is ok. But when I plug in regulation from the amp board to regulator board, the secondary voltage is 120V and transformer is making great noise. What i should check? RP1 should have max resistance, or min?
Old 1st October 2010, 03:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

What happens when you disconnect U1 output from opto coupler? Is it still have 120v on rails?
Old 5th October 2010, 06:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

When I disconnect U1 from optocoupler there was 60VDC on rail.

I have to:
1. correct wiring from transformer to regulator board
2. change OC1 from CNY 17-4 to CNY 17-2
3. change R11 from 52 ohm (burned) to 18 ohm
4. change R2 (62K), it was burned

Below I present a picture of corect wiring (in service manual there was mistake for 240V wiring). The wiring form transformer to regulator board should be like in pm-600.

potentiometer RP1 should have minimal resistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carver PM-350-31B.jpg (439.8 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by pgrad; 5th October 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!