ipod nano dock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi,

I would like to make and fit an ipod nano dock onto the front of an amp! I need to use a standard type ipod charger connector (as used from USB to the nano), and then be able to charge the ipod and play it into the amp through a selector switch.

So I guess I am asking if any one knows the voltage and the colour connection for the wires if I was to cut off the USB plug on the end of the lead, and strip and connect it to a supply and audio in! :confused:

Thank's for any help!

Regards
M. Gregg

I've been doing some research on this because I want to build a tube amp that will be able to charge and play my iPods/iPhones all from the 30-pin connector. The pinout you posted is the same one I've been studying and it seems to be pretty accurate from what I can tell. The iPod needs 5v/500ma DC for charging so this is what I've come up with:

I purchased this cable: 3.5mm Audio Line out+Usb Dock Cable for iphone ipod - eBay (item 290447626660 end time Sep-20-10 06:25:27 PDT)

That will take car of audio portion...you can just clip of the 3.5mm plug and use as needed. Now in order for the iPod to charge, you will need to do something with that usb plug, and supply it with the power specified above. These easiest solution I've come up with is to use the guts out of one of my old Motorola phone chargers, which have a mini-USB plug on the end. These chargers supply the perfect charging voltage for any USB device (iPods/iPhones included). I'm sure you could find one of these chargers for a dollar or two since they are so abundant. You'll need to clip the mini-USB plug off the end of that charger cable and then cut the female end off of a standard USB extension cable. Wire these two together using a standard USB pinout (very simple, only two wires need to be connected to the correct pins). At that point, you'll have a standard sized female USB socket to plug the USB portion of the cable into. This is the easiest way I've figured to make this work. As you do more research into the iPod pinout, you'll see that it's not as simple as it seems (certain resistors are needed in certain areas and certain other pins need to be jumpered to ground for it to work)....that is why I don't really recommend trying to make your own iPod connector and to simply use one that's already made and then modify it. Although I haven't completed this yet, I see no reason why it wouldn't work. A pic of my Motorola charger:

21a34798.jpg

-Wes

Attachments

• 6N1P Front View.JPG
    6N1P Front View.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Idock 6N1P.JPG
    Idock 6N1P.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 143
  • Inside 6N1P.JPG
    Inside 6N1P.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 143
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Dagwood,

Thank's for the info, Sorry taking so long to get back. I am still building the pre amp at the moment. Your project looks good. Yes its the kind of thing I was looking into. I am looking at putting a dock on my preamp project with charge and audio input!

Regards
M. Gregg

its actually pretty straight forward guys, for nano particularly because it doesnt require to be put into accessory mode

• audio ground on pin 1,2 or 29 (I find these are out of the way)
• pin 3 for right audio and 4 for left audio
• pin 16 for USB ground (although its tied internally to all the other ground pins in ipod and pin 4 in USB connector)
• pin 23 for USB 5v (pin 1 on USB connector)
• pin 25 for USB data - (USB pin 2)
• pin 27 for USB data + (USB pin 3)

so pin 25/27/USB pin 2/3 are a complimentary pair and should be twisted tightly and the same with 16/23/USB 4/1. the USB power wires should be sized accordingly for the length of the cable and I find 26AWG good for the data pair. so you can use 4 and 1 for charging the ipod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.