Yamaha CA-400 asymmetrical power rails?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've never seen this before, and was wondering why they might do this? The positive rail is fairly conventional, feeding both the positive output and driver. But the negative rail provides a different voltage for the driver than the output trans. Can anyone tell me why they might do this? Just seems odd.

Here's a simplified drawing of the relevant PS circuit, and then the full schematic if anyone wants to see it.

Thanks all;
Artie

Edit: Whats especially odd, is that it requires a special transformer, (not cheap), that provides an extra "tap".

And here's a link to the full schematic if you want to see it: Yamaha CA-400 (It's fairly large.)

Attachments

• CA-400-segment.png
    CA-400-segment.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
No one? :eek:

I know it's a somewhat obtuse question, but it intrigues me. Yamaha had to use a unique transformer to obtain the oddball negative voltage. It just seems like an odd thing to do on a low-line amp. They don't do it on any others. (That I've seen.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.