Crimson 610 Preamp Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a Crimson 620 Amp, 610 Pre and 610C preamp. The 610C and 620 amp are fully functional and sounding great. However the original 610 pre is in need of some work and I would like to restore it.

It looks like it was modified to run on a wall-wart of some kind but was never completed (without the umbilical cord for signal and DC). It is missing a volume control and the MM disc stage has been changed over to another line input.

I can post a pic of the insides if need be.

Does anyone have a schematic of the 610?

Hope someone here can help. Thx!

I don't know the 610 pre-amp.
The others are closely based on the modules Crimson sold.
If the pre is also based on their pre module, then being by far the weakest link in the reproduction chain, it is not worth saving.
Have a think about using the case and hardware to build up a good active pre using either buffers or low gain (+6db and/or +12dB) low power amps.

Hello everyone!

I recently picked up a Crimson 620 Amp, 610 Pre and 610C preamp. The 610C and 620 amp are fully functional and sounding great. However the original 610 pre is in need of some work and I would like to restore it.

It looks like it was modified to run on a wall-wart of some kind but was never completed (without the umbilical cord for signal and DC). It is missing a volume control and the MM disc stage has been changed over to another line input.

I can post a pic of the insides if need be.

Does anyone have a schematic of the 610?

Hope someone here can help. Thx!

Hi,

Crimson is still alive and well.You can email them describing your problem.
I think that they will act smart enough and give you the needed advise.

B.L.

I believe that Austin HiFi is now the channel we would go through in NA unless someone has the direct line to Brian. I have emailed them AHiFi for help but have heard nothing yet. I will post pictures of the inside and prod a bit into the original 620 poweramp to determine the DC voltage and polarization that was originally sent to the 610 preamp.

The 610 preamp does not have a battery, not sure of the charger's function - either way they would not be of interest anyways.

I know it is a bit of a dog, but I think it's worth a try since I have all the parts needed on hand.

I know this was some time ago, but did you ever solve this problem?

I ask because I have the same 610 preamp with a dead battery pack (leaking electrolyte) and would like to power it, either from an external "wall wart" PSU (like the 610C I believe), or from the PSU in the power amp (620) as they both have DIN sized socket space (labeled output/DC) which could be used for an umbilical (audio and power) between pre and power amps.

Do you, or anyone els, know the power requirements for the 610 pre?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.