Very dim digital readout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bulb ? cap ?

Djk: Bulb would be so easy, but schematic doesn't say bulb and I dont believe its thick enough to house even a tiny bulb.
Mooly: That story didn't end too well on the marantz display BTW.

I have found that the face plate is tinted a very deep red, making it 2 X hard to get it to be bright. Maybe they put in clear in the middle after finding out its dim on later models. No idea.
Thanks.
Cool.
Srinath.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
:) Lol, in post 22 he said it fixed it... if the original cap was OK the display wouldn't have altered.

Anyway caps are a big problem... but you really need to see the circuit. For example some Aiwa music centres (Aiwa, part of Sony at the time... hmmm) used two unequal value electroylitics of 33 and 22uf from memory and they failed like they were going out of fashion. These were used to derive the display volts.

The problem is knowing how bright they are when new. Signs of a duff display can be unequal rightness of segments, them looking brighter directly where the heaters pass over them.

Dim VFD Display on my EAD

Hello, I have an EAD Ultradisc 2000 which uses the N.E.C. VFD Display. It is getting dim and brighter in some spots than others, for example, Half of a 0 character is brighter than the other half and this in on 3 characters. I have replaced the 35v cap but no change. Should I be looking other places for faults? I know this is common with this player. Any help would be appreciated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.