Leach amp bias diodes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2003, 06:15 PM   #1
Borc is offline Borc  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Leach amp bias diodes

Hello!

Anyone tried to replace bias diodes which are hard to mount with TO-220 transistors in B-E connection? That will be easier to use with "normal" heatsink.
Old 30th June 2003, 06:20 PM   #2
mlloyd1 is offline mlloyd1  United States
diyAudio Member

I've done that for other amps in the past (not the Leach). Works well. It is definately more convenient...
mlloyd1
Old 30th June 2003, 06:32 PM   #3
Borc is offline Borc  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

You mean use of standard Vbe; one transistor mounted on heatsink. I was thinking to change diodes in series with transistors connected b-e in series.
Old 30th June 2003, 06:38 PM   #4
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by Borc
You mean use of standard Vbe;
better yet, you could use amplified diodes: tie the base with the collector. it is said to generate sharper cut-off than a traditional diode.
Old 1st July 2003, 05:21 AM   #5
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Leach amp bias diodes

Quote:
Originally posted by Borc
Hello!

Anyone tried to replace bias diodes which are hard to mount with TO-220 transistors in B-E connection? That will be easier to use with "normal" heatsink.
You need only a PN-junction so a normal transistor will do a "diode". You could also use a "normal" Vbe multiplier, two resistors and one transistor. I suppose Prof. Leach has chosen a more complicated Vbe multiplier in order to get a more accurate compensation but the three part solution will also work. Maybe you will get lower currents when the amp is warm, not constant, but this isn't a big disadvantage.
Old 1st July 2003, 05:46 AM   #6
andy_c is offline andy_c  United States
Banned

Default Re: Re: Leach amp bias diodes

Quote:
Originally posted by peranders

I suppose Prof. Leach has chosen a more complicated Vbe multiplier in order to get a more accurate compensation but the three part solution will also work. Maybe you will get lower currents when the amp is warm, not constant, but this isn't a big disadvantage.
Here is the explanation from Dr. Leach's website of why he chose the diode approach:

I like the idea of having the Vbe multiplier on the circuit board to minimize stray capacitance to ground from the output of the second stage. This leads to better stability. Remember, the second stage sets the dominant pole in the open-loop transfer function. I don't want that transfer function to be a function of unpredictable wiring capacitance to a Vbe multiplier on the heat sink. Therefore, I opted for the diodes on the heat sink. The stray capacitance of the leads to the diodes can be isolated with series resistors. You can't use the series resistors if you put the Vbe multiplier on the heat sink.
Old 1st July 2003, 06:21 AM   #7
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
The diodes aren't that difficult to deal with. Just put them on the heatsink near your devices. Here is a picture of the latest leach amp that I helped a friend build, using newer MJL1302A/3281A devices.

--
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg leachamp.jpg (75.1 KB, 812 views)
Old 1st July 2003, 06:52 AM   #8
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Leach amp bias diodes

Quote:
Originally posted by andy_c

Here is the explanation from Dr. Leach's website of why he chose the diode approach:

I like the idea of having the Vbe multiplier on the circuit board to minimize stray capacitance to ground from the output of the second stage. This leads to better stability. Remember, the second stage sets the dominant pole in the open-loop transfer function. I don't want that transfer function to be a function of unpredictable wiring capacitance to a Vbe multiplier on the heat sink. Therefore, I opted for the diodes on the heat sink. The stray capacitance of the leads to the diodes can be isolated with series resistors. You can't use the series resistors if you put the Vbe multiplier on the heat sink.
It's correct that stray capacitance is a no good thing, therefore keep the wires short, valid in most parts in the amp.
Old 1st July 2003, 09:30 AM   #9
sajti is offline sajti  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianGT
The diodes aren't that difficult to deal with. Just put them on the heatsink near your devices. Here is a picture of the latest leach amp that I helped a friend build, using newer MJL1302A/3281A devices.

--
Brian

Douglas Self recommended to put the diodes to the top of the output devices. This gives better sensitivity, and less capacity, due the large distance from the heatsink.

Sajti
Old 2nd July 2003, 03:47 AM   #10
AJT is offline AJT  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

'Anyone tried to replace bias diodes which are hard to mount with TO-220 transistors in B-E connection? That will be easier to use with "normal" heatsink.'

i actually use the base collector junction, yes it can be done, i find them to be more siensitive due to the nature of construction of the transistor, i use case 77 types mostly....

Hide this!Advertise here!