Emotiva XPA-1 vs Jungson 99D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering buying a new amplifier. On the shortlist are the Jungson 99D class A 100W or a pair of Emotiva XPA-1 500W class AB. -Both about the same price give or take $500

There are quite a few credible reviews of the Jungson 99D, but there are only reviews of the Emotiva XPA-1 on the emotiva forum and the Home theater sites.

I am worried that despite very good reviews on the HT websites, that the guys doing the reviews of the Emotiva, are not really audiophile types.

The amp/s will be exclusively used for music. I have a preference for a highly detailed sound. Soundstage, depth, naturalness, and real life dynamics are a priority. I am looking for a genuinely audiophile amp. I have modified KEF concerto speakers, and I have noticed that they sound their best with a powerful amp over 130W +

So is there anyone who has heard the Emotiva XPA-1 who can comment on its audiophile credentials?

Or anyone who has heard both these amps?
I am really only looking for the comments of people who actually have heard or owned these amps.

Also, If the Emotiva is not up to audiophile standards, has anyone modified or changed caps to give it better sound? And what were the results?

Thanks

Both are expensive..
For the same price, i would go for the more powerfull one
since your speakers need a lot of power...

The Jungson exhibit 0.05% THD ratio at 1KHZ and 1W , which
is pityfull for a so called high end design.

You can also build a 2X200W/8R amp for just a few hundreds $
that will be at least as good as thoses ones...

Last edited:
wahab, yes I have to agree with you that for the Jungson class A amp, those distortion figures are extremely high, whereas the Emotiva XPA-1 runs in class A up to about 10W and has about 0.004% distortion at 1W and then the distortion drops to about 0.002% from 2W to 30W where it will be used the most. according to page 9 of its test report
http://emotiva.com/xpa1/xpa1_8ohm.pdf

Still I am really hoping there is someone here who has heard the Emotiva XPA-1
who can provide some comments on its sound.

Thanks

is pityfull for a so called high end design...

How has this amp received such good reviews from supposedly reputable reviewers such as TNT audio's Geoff Husband with such high THD ?

I am also interested in purchasing the Jungson JA99D but the THD figures have
made me hesitant to go ahead with the purchase.

You can also build a 2X200W/8R amp for just a few hundreds $
that will be at least as good as those ones...

Where can you get this 2x200w/8R amp from and are they easy to build
for the non guru DIY builder ?

Hi Trevor,

I have seen those reviews, these reviews are what have me interested in the Emotiva gear, and I know someone who has the Emotiva pre amp and CD player, but he does not have the XPA-1

do you know anyone in Melbourne who has the XPA-1 that I could possibly come over and hear it?

It's just a worry making a big purchase without hearing the amps for myself.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
is pityfull for a so called high end design.

Given that THD is a meaningless specification, i don't know how you can say that.

It is often the case that amplifiers with lower audiable distortion have higher measured THD. Of importance is the distribution of the distortion harmonics.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
So how can I find out if the the distribution of the distortion harmonics on the Jungson is good ?

You need to get the harmonic distortion graphs before they collapse them into THD. And you need them at a range of frequencies. And into the actual load that the amp is asked to drive.

Since this kind of data is very scarce, and all the other measures you'd need as well, it is usually just easiest to listen to it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
20V p-p into an 8 ohm load is ~25W RMS. The spectrum isn't all that pretty for that kind of level -- if it was at max power maybe.

Some plots at lower & higher power would be helpful.

What you are looking for is a monotonic decrease in harmonic levels as the order gets higher (ie with a 1k fundemental, 2kHz>3kHz etc) with very little of anything higher. Because distortion products 4 & up do not occur in nature the ear/brain is VERY sensitive to it.

dave

Hi Trevor,

I have seen those reviews, these reviews are what have me interested in the Emotiva gear, and I know someone who has the Emotiva pre amp and CD player, but he does not have the XPA-1

do you know anyone in Melbourne who has the XPA-1 that I could possibly come over and hear it?

It's just a worry making a big purchase without hearing the amps for myself.

I don't know anyone personally but it gets a good wrap on dtv forum so much so they have dedicated a couple of threads to it.

The Official Emotiva Owners Thread - DTV Forum Australia - Australia's Leading Digital TV and AV Forum

Emotiva Umc-1 Owners Thread - DTV Forum Australia - Australia's Leading Digital TV and AV Forum

The build quality is excellent for the price which amazes me how they can sell it for that price and still make a profit. There is another way to look at it. It would cost you $52,000 AUD to buy a pair of Krell Evolution 600 Mono blocks which has similar power ratings. I doubt very much that you would get the same improvement in performance with the Krells if you used price as a measure of performance.

regards

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.