Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Joined 2011
Paid Member
While patiently waiting for Cordell2ed to arrive, you could (a) do nothing; or (b) scout around for other sources of balanced-input power amplifier circuit design inspiration. Perhaps the download page on Bryston's website might yield a couple of nuggets. If you are nervous or lack confidence to decide for yourself whether such-and-such schematic is bad, mediocre, or good: perhaps you could hire Bob (or others) as a consultant to provide a more authoritative opinion.

Oh for now I still have a lot of work to do deciphering edition 1! I'm just hoping I will have much more of it under my belt by the time ed 2 is released and that some of the topics I have on my radar (maybe they will remain forever beyond my skill level) will be covered in more detail in the new text. In the interim, having found some time but without access to tools or even a computer (just smartphone) I'm continuing to study Bob's ed 1 text alongside the schematics of diyAudio member astx's SA2014 amp, which I have built successfully. The more I learn about this hobby the more I realise I do not know...it's daunting.

Thanks for the link Mark. I will take a look!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Those prices are set by the seller, not by amazon. Anything goes - only one sucker required, and you're done!
So, Andrew, your $ 900 is about half price ;-)

Jan

Attachments

• cordell book.PNG
    cordell book.PNG
    163.4 KB · Views: 416
I see 399.00 but not 1000.00.

I don't remember what I paid but it was well under 100.00.
I hope the second addition is not quite as inflated.

We are talking about Bob's book here?

I did notice that high price on Amazon U.S. It is, of course, a crazy number. Here's what I am pretty sure is going on. The first edition is out of print, so there are no new copies being sold, as far as I know, through that sales channel. The book appears to be only available through Amazon-connected used re-sellers. They apparently believe that they can get that price from sufficiently desperate people (I honestly can't imagine anyone that desperate).

Due to me being behind significantly on completing the second edition (my bad), there is a gap in availability of the book. This gap is likely due to the fact that the second edition will be published not by McGraw-Hill, but rather by another large publisher well-known for publishing books on audio electronics and other electronics, in addition to many other excellent technical books. The first edition is still available in Kindle at a very reasonable price. I know that many people much prefer a technical book in paper form because it will inevitably used as a reference (that includes me).

The second edition will be published sometime in 2018, hopefully before September. It will contain approximately 5 new chapters, and most of the original 31 chapters will be updated. The first edition was about 600 pages. The second edition will be about 750 pages.

One source of delay has been the fact that I have down-sized and moved to a new home, and my lab has been out of commission as far back as February. I'm moving from Holmdel to Lincrof, about 3 miles away. I apologize for the delay.

Cheers,
Bob

Its been delayed significantly because I am in the middle of down-sizing from my house into a town home. Probably looking at sometime in 2018.

Cheers,
Bob

I've tried borrowing it through inter-library loan. No dice.

I suppose then that hoping you might bring a couple of first edition copies to BA2017 for sale is out of the question?

Thanks and regards,

Rob

Congratulations Bob!

The first edition is out of print, so there are no new copies being sold, as far as I know, through that sales channel.

Congratulations Bob! It can be safely assumed that you have written the most popular book in the world about power amplifier design.

I look forward to purchasing a paper version of your next edition. Apparently there must be a few thousand others with the same aspiration.

Regards ....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm wrestling with the thought of buying the new release when it's out. The first book was excellent (and used as a reference). I strongly prefer paper material.

Bob, are there any cases where information has been updated due to insights made after the publishing of that first book? Anything where you may have been mistaken? Please don't read into that more than I asked. Everyone makes mistakes now and again.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
I've seen print copies of some of our app books (now free downloads) going for $275.00.
I can see that. I don't tend to read electronic copies except to a specific reference. A paper book you can sit and thumb through, a very enjoyable pastime. This is especially true of databooks and catalogues. I used to discover parts I could use just by flipping through the databook.

If I had the disposable income, and $275 was the price, I would reluctantly pay it (I'm cheap, what can I say?). There is no greater pleasure for me than getting a new (to me) app notes book, or databook. I used to wait for these things to come out, anxiously.

-Chris