Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Congratulations on your book, Bob! :cheers:
>I have a chapter that covers the design of amplifiers with no negative feedback and amplifiers....
No global NFB or no NFB at all?

Cheers,
Edmond.

Hi Edmond,

Thanks!! I'll drink to that! I hope we can get together sometime and share one. I'll buy.

Actually, I covered both no global negative feedback and no negative feedback (e.g., local) at all (with the exception of emitter degeneration). Although I like negative feedback, those amplifiers present some very interesting technical challenges. In that respect, my hat goes off to Charles Hansen for doing such a fine job on his no-feedback MXR amplifier.

I also went over to the Dark Side, with four chapters on class D amplifiers :).

Cheers,
Bob

Unfortunately there are some errors in the pre-order information that went out on the Internet. The retail price is actually $60 US. I hope you'll still buy it :). I'll have a box of them with me at RMAF.

Best regards,
Bob

Dear Bob,

I placed my pre-order on Amazon, like others did, at $26.40 :)

Let's see what Amazon will do :):)

I cannot wait to put my hands on the book. I'm 100% sure that I'll find a lot of answers to my naive questions!

Best regards,
Satoru

PS. I'll buy the book at $60. No question.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Saw the thread, looked up the book, pre-ordered the book.
This looks like another classic must-have book!

I must thank you as well Bob, you've proved most of us are in fact literate. :) Simply shocking.

I see Mr Self has another book out also. That I'll have to save up for. No pre-release special or introductory pricing.

-Chris

book back cover

Hi Bob,
Saw the thread, looked up the book, pre-ordered the book.
This looks like another classic must-have book!

I must thank you as well Bob, you've proved most of us are in fact literate. :) Simply shocking.

I see Mr Self has another book out also. That I'll have to save up for. No pre-release special or introductory pricing.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind words. I thought you might be interested in seeing some of the book's back-cover text. This is a little more up to date than what is out there on the 'net. BTW, the book has 31 chapters.

Cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• back cover.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 732
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Understanding negative feedback and the controversy surrounding it
Okay, now there's a topic that will generate email! Time to wear a disguise in public there Bob!

I did go over the table of contents, and the book looked very complete. It seems you are including most of the topics for people who wish to go further. Looking at your responses in threads here, and the topics covered in the book make it very attractive as a source for new ideas and reference. I'm really looking forward to receiving this book from Amazon.

I couldn't help myself and also ordered "Physics and Circuit Properties of Transistors", J.M. Feldman from the 70's. I saw a copy for $2.56 ($6.49 shipping!). It looked like a good source of background information as a refresher for me. My text books from Ryerson never came back to me after a loan to a girlfriend's brother. I also saw many books on both low noise circuit design, and RF circuit design. Way out of my price range at $100 ++ to over $200. Too bad because there are some really, really good looking books there. Another funny observation at Amazon. Why are so many used books priced higher than the new edition? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Also listed is Walter Jung's book, another I need to save up for. I have the PDF file, but the real thing is far easier for me to read. In fact, reading from a real book is both enjoyable and relaxing.

-Chris

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yep, I'm signed up Bob, but Amazon wouldn't sell direct to Aus. 'Had to use a local agent at about a 40% markup including postage. We must'a dropped out of favour since it was possible to buy direct in the past. Still, if they honour their base price commitment, its gonna be great value. 'Just have to put the lead time on fast-forward somehow....

Hi Bob,

Okay, now there's a topic that will generate email! Time to wear a disguise in public there Bob!

I did go over the table of contents, and the book looked very complete. It seems you are including most of the topics for people who wish to go further. Looking at your responses in threads here, and the topics covered in the book make it very attractive as a source for new ideas and reference. I'm really looking forward to receiving this book from Amazon.

I couldn't help myself and also ordered "Physics and Circuit Properties of Transistors", J.M. Feldman from the 70's. I saw a copy for $2.56 ($6.49 shipping!). It looked like a good source of background information as a refresher for me. My text books from Ryerson never came back to me after a loan to a girlfriend's brother. I also saw many books on both low noise circuit design, and RF circuit design. Way out of my price range at $100 ++ to over $200. Too bad because there are some really, really good looking books there. Another funny observation at Amazon. Why are so many used books priced higher than the new edition? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Also listed is Walter Jung's book, another I need to save up for. I have the PDF file, but the real thing is far easier for me to read. In fact, reading from a real book is both enjoyable and relaxing.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Although I am a proponent of negative feedback (when it is properly applied), I have tried pretty hard to be fair in the discussion. As I mentioned earlier, I even have a chapter that includes the design of amplifiers without negative feedback and also amplifiers with wide open-loop bandwidth. Sort of a have-it-your-way approach to design.

Thanks for your support and interest, and I hope you enjoy the read.

Cheers,
Bob

I placed my order, even though I know the content will be way over my head.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Don't be so sure the content will be over your head. One of the things I worked very hard on was to start off easy for newbies and then go deep. Doing that is always difficult, but I think you'll find it very digestible, while at the same time I'm hopeful that those who are very experienced will get a lot out of it.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Bob