Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Why consult the farmer, if one can check the cow ?

Both J200/K1529 and J201/K1530 are still active production.
Toshiba's general catalogue of August 2010 does not state otherwise, the Japanese (over) rational mind thinks ahead, not behind.

My lengthy experience with Japanese semi-manufacture has been that juniors go first, seniors last.
Examples ; A1301/C3280 first and A1302/C3281 second, A1094/C2564 first and A1095/C2565 next, A1215/C2921 are a goner, still waiting for the A1216/C2922 kill, same deal with various Toshiba and NEC JFET models.

Most interesting deal at DK is the J618/K3497 pair.

Jacco,

I just checked the Toshiba site (see attached; hopefully large enough to see).

EOL (End of life) announced.
So time to stock up .......

;)

BTW, if I am not wrong, the schematics come from one of the Japanese DIY sites.
If so, could you kindly post a link ?
Saves me a lot of googling.

Googling is rumoured to be one of the most environmentally polluting of the modern-day human activities, even though I would never want to do without.

;)

Patrick

Attachments

• K1530 EOL.jpg
    K1530 EOL.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 613
As to K3497/J618, I took a detailed look a while ago.

If you read the datasheet carefully, the devices are not very complementary at currents below 3A. Moreover, these high Yfs devices are all extremely thermally sensitive (+ve tempco). But these two are sensitive differently.

So in the end my conclusion is that I rather stick to K2955/J554 for now despite the somewhat higher capacitances.

But if you would start a GB for the K3489/J618, count me in.
Measuring is the reality, not datasheets.

Patrick

Why consult the farmer, if one can check the cow ?

Both J200/K1529 and J201/K1530 are still active production.
Toshiba's general catalogue of August 2010 does not state otherwise, the Japanese (over) rational mind thinks ahead, not behind.

My lengthy experience with Japanese semi-manufacture has been that juniors go first, seniors last.
Examples ; A1301/C3280 first and A1302/C3281 second, A1094/C2564 first and A1095/C2565 next, A1215/C2921 are a goner, still waiting for the A1216/C2922 kill, same deal with various Toshiba and NEC JFET models.

Most interesting deal at DK is the J618/K3497 pair.

Thanks, jacco,

I like your sense of humor.

We'll keep our fingers crossed.

I discuss the 2SK1530/2SJ201 quite a bit in my book :).

Cheers,
Bob

Here are the links :

????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????

J201 still active. K1530 End of Life announced.
It's only a matter of time when stock will dry out.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

That's a shame. Seems odd that the N-channel would go first. Since these devices are targeted at audio rather than switchers, this may be a reflection of decreased usage by manufacturers of power MOSFETs in audio gear. That's a shame, if true. It will be interesting to see the fate of the smaller ones in the TO-247 packages.

Cheers,
Bob

My friend is vice president of sales Toshiba Germany. Toshiba stopped to make things they make a loss on. When we pay 1€ for something like the 2SK170, the mass producing industry payes less then a cent. It´s drastic. They have also laying off 30% of the employes in sales. Still i wish they whould at least make some of the nice things they ussed to make but maybe we DIYes are living in a dreamword. People like Linear Systems try to stuff the holes but for a premium.

Yes, we live in a dream world......

And the likes of Linear Systems just never will have the resources and knowhows that Toshiba can afford to have to develop the processes to make these devices.

Sad, but true.

Patrick

PS Newer FETs like the K3497/J618 use different manufacturing processes which are used for switching FETs. So they would still be around for a while. But special audio FETs true complementaries just do not make enough turnover to make them financially viable. On top of that more & more people go Class D these days. The DIY market can be served with one wafer lot per year. And single wafer lot is hugely expensive.

Last edited:

My post was not about the "if", but the "when".
The end of life announcement gives semi buyers plenty of time left to place a (large) final order, before the plug is pulled.

My 2nd point was that the J201, and the J200/K1529, will also be terminated.

I recall building a Vertical MOSFET amp in the late 1980s with Toshiba's J115/K405.
(in an MPA1 lookalike case, fun exersize to see how small i could make a 100W AB, cheapest full alloy case i ever built.
MPA1=> http://www.bwgroup-support.com/downloads/techmanuals/bw/MPA1-TM.pdf)
A couple of years later, the J115/K405 went AWOL, and replaced by J200/K1529.
Not much later, Toshiba started production of the J201/K1530 biggies.

If you look at the active life span of other Japanese power devices, and small signal BJT's and JFETs, the J200/K1529 and J201/K1530 would be at the end of their rope anyway.

My g/f would nail my A.. in Gus Petch style if i stocked more Toshiba Vertical MOSFETs, everyone who would like some better buy now.
I dread to see their average NOS price level in a couple of years from now.

HI Bob,

I would like to put together your distortion magnifier. Are you going to publish anything on it anytime soon?

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

Funny you should ask. A complete construction article on the DM will appear in the inaugural issue of Jan Didden's new magazine "Linear Audio", due out in September. Go to Linear Audio | your tech audio resource for details.

Jan has collected quite a group of authors for this issue and it will probably be a classic.

Jan and I will be sharing a table at RMAF where we'll have copies of Linear Audio and my book. For those who have not been to RMAF, I highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Bob

This is a bit off topic but in light of the impending doom of the k1530s, I wonder if it makes sense to put together a GB?

Any group buy would probably also want to include an equal number of the J201 parts. I guess it is also unclear how many parts are out there and from where they are available. For example, if one placed an order on Digikey now, would they be able to get them (none in stock)?

The whole thing is bothersome, as I featured them prominently in my book. Its sad if they go the way of the laterals.

Cheers,
Bob