Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book - Page 59 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2010, 02:32 AM   #581
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Gerhard View Post
I find many things in your book that i do not find in Selfs or Duncans volumes.
To include measurements of all described designs whould make the page size double i am afraid.
Hi Joachim,

Thank you. I was actually very fortunate that McGraw-Hill let me put in as much as I did. When you try to cover a lot of topics there are sometimes some difficult decisions to be made about what to cut.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 14th October 2010, 03:08 AM   #582
diyAudio Member

Yay, my copy turned up yesterday! What a great work, right on target! - (on first take, at least!). What a pity though; the sad reviewer Mr de Velder (post #577) can't get his head around these new ideas in solid-state. His review is even more clearly prejudiced than that he gave of D. Self's Small signal audio publication.

Hurtful as they are, I don't think readers are going to see his comments stacking up with the publisher's or the text itself, even with regard to simple matters like book content. Still, I'm sure you'd rather not see such stuff in the major distributor's presentation, Bob.

I guess it's all part of some "equal-time" policy for airing contrary views as in the public face of many large corporations today.i
Old 14th October 2010, 04:10 AM   #583
diyAudio Member

I did some measurements of speaker distortion at various soundpreasures as requested.
Note that my measurement amp is an inexpensive Alesis and i use a simple M-Audio Transit soundcard so some of the "grass" you see is from my electronics. Nevertheless the measurements confirm in general the monothonic nature of speaker distortion.
There are too much measuement to put in one post so i start here with a measurement of second and thrird harmonic at 75dB and 105dB in 1m. The driver is an Audio Technology 18cm midwoofer with filled Polypropylen membrane in a 35 liter bass reflex cabinet. I measured in 10cm so the soundpreasure scale looks way to high and i did not normalise.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harmonic Distortion @ 75dB.pdf (6.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf Harmonic Distortion @ 105dB.pdf (6.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:16 AM   #584
diyAudio Member

i also looked at harmonic 5 if there is any raise of higher harmonics with level again at 75dB and 105dB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K5 @ 75dB.pdf (5.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf K5 @ 105dB.pdf (6.0 KB, 15 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:18 AM   #585
diyAudio Member

Here is the spectrum of a 1.1kHz tone at 75dB and 85dB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spectrum @ 75dB.pdf (6.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Spectrum @ 85dB.pdf (5.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:20 AM   #586
diyAudio Member

Here is the spectrum at 95dB and 105dB.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spectrum @ 95dB.pdf (6.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: pdf Spectrum @ 105dB.pdf (6.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:30 AM   #587
diyAudio Member

Here is the Spectral Contamination ( multitone distortion ) at 95dB. And the "Gerhard Test" also at 95dB ( sorry. i did not find a better word for it ). This a a wav. that you can play back.
I got it by putting in 30 frequencies over the range from 20 to 20kHz that are chosen not to stack up harmonics. I them supressed the tones digitally and did an invers FFT on the residuum to extract the time domain signal. I then converted into 16 bit 44kHz wav.
It is a good indicator of rubb and buzz and when you listen carefully you hear the "sound" of the membrane. Note that this distortion is at a very low level and i had to "blow" it up a lot to make it audible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audio Technology 23787 Spectral Contamination 1.pdf (7.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:44 AM   #588
diyAudio Member

Gerhard Test and how this waveform looks in the time domain.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audio Technolohy Gerhard Test.pdf (5.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 04:50 AM   #589
diyAudio Member

The wav. as a zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Audio Technology 23787 Gerhard Test.wav.zip (205.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 14th October 2010, 10:29 AM   #590
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Yay, my copy turned up yesterday! What a great work, right on target! - (on first take, at least!). What a pity though; the sad reviewer Mr de Velder (post #577) can't get his head around these new ideas in solid-state. His review is even more clearly prejudiced than that he gave of D. Self's Small signal audio publication.

Hurtful as they are, I don't think readers are going to see his comments stacking up with the publisher's or the text itself, even with regard to simple matters like book content. Still, I'm sure you'd rather not see such stuff in the major distributor's presentation, Bob.

I guess it's all part of some "equal-time" policy for airing contrary views as in the public face of many large corporations today.i
Hi Ian,

Glad you got your copy and thanks for the kind words.

Negative reviews are just part of the territory. Some will have valid points, others will be a result of too quick a skim, and others may be the result of a technical philosophical difference. Moreover, no book can be complete and without error on every topic. The important thing is just like a vote. If those who like the book will write reviews, then the overall picture of the book will come out as more balanced. When you have only two reviews, one good and one bad, the picture is too lacking of data points. As more people read the book, I hope more reviews will be written.

Cheers,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!