Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2010, 07:03 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to apolon34
Pre-ordered mine as well.
Old 5th August 2010, 07:41 PM   #42
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Got mine pre-ordered too.

DB
Old 5th August 2010, 11:14 PM   #43
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bob,
Just watch the first printing to be sold out before distribution begins. That would be nice.

Quote:
Although I am a proponent of negative feedback (when it is properly applied), I have tried pretty hard to be fair in the discussion.
I'm pretty sure that most reasonable people would be in agreement with you on that. That is the same view I hold simply from my practical experience with some design work to drive these points home.

Quote:
Thanks for your support and interest, and I hope you enjoy the read.
I have no doubt that I will enjoy the book. I still read EDN and other publications right through when I get them. Even a topic that you know will have something there for you when presented from another standpoint. Filling in the gaps, or firing up a new way of thinking about something.

I'm one of those crazies that always has a note pad or something to write on wherever I go. It's an illness I tell you! It really is amazing what you can think of when you're bored waiting for someone or at an appointment. Reading new material will set off a series of ideas for a while.

Anyway, Bob, thank you! Your book will enrich the lives of people who read it in a similar way that works from other authors do. This is an opportunity for us to learn more. Application notes are the other way.

-Chris

-Chris
Old 5th August 2010, 11:55 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Bob,
Just watch the first printing to be sold out before distribution begins. That would be nice.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

That sure would be nice!

I know very little about the publishing business, but I think they actually use pre-order data to size the print run.

Another interesting thing I can share, which I'm sure will not surprise you, is how very much I have learned in the process of writing this book. You learn a lot when you have to try to articulate something to a wide audience and you want to get it right; after all, the book will be out there for a long time (nevertheless I'm sure I'll have a lot of mistakes in the book). Some things that I thought I knew and took for granted, I learned a lot more about when I had to do actual measurements and simulations for some of the figures in the book.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 6th August 2010, 12:26 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cordell View Post
Your gain is McGraw-Hill's loss :-). They still have not corrected the retail price to be $60.

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers,
Bob
The ~$27 is for the paperback.
That seems about right.
Maybe ~$60 for hardback ?
Hyper Congratulations ......
I've dreamed of writing a book
Old 6th August 2010, 12:47 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

I will preorder mine tomorrow. I am especially interested in the chapter about amps without negative feedback.
Old 6th August 2010, 03:40 AM   #47
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bob,
I've found the very best way to really learn something is to teach the subject. As for the extra detail and checking facts, that must have been quite a lot of work. Is there extra stress to have everything correct when writing a book? Teaching is one thing, and you can deal in a less formal interaction. But writing a book is to immortalize everything you put down for a very long time. That's almost worse than posting! See? I've gone and scared myself!

I can't say much about writing a book, but I'll believe you on that one.

Hey Joachim, don't wait too long! There is a pre-order discount we're running on here. Actually, you will be fine. If it weren't for the discount, I couldn't afford to buy the book. I'm looking at all the others and drooling. I'll have to wrap Bob's book in plastic if I go shopping at Amazon again.

-Chris
Old 6th August 2010, 01:50 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsware View Post
The ~$27 is for the paperback.
That seems about right.
Maybe ~$60 for hardback ?
Hyper Congratulations ......
I've dreamed of writing a book
Hi hitswire,

The $60 retail price is for paperback (there is no hardcover version). Actually, this is not that unusual for a technical paperback. For example, Doug Self's amplifier handbook now retails at $65.

Think of the current price of $27 as that of a great sale price, but that we don't know when the sale will be over :-).

Writing a book is one of those things that has been on my bucket-list for a long time. (BTW, it took me four years to write the book, and my dear wife Angela deserves all the credit for putting up with it).

Cheers,
Bob
Old 6th August 2010, 03:50 PM   #49
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

4years of an experts time.
How much is that worth?
Half a million?

Maybe we should tell Amazon the book is too cheap.;-)

Last edited by AndrewT; 6th August 2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 6th August 2010, 04:30 PM   #50
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats Bob .......................

Hide this!Advertise here!