Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

I can't see how.

gm = Ic / Vt
and
gm = delta Ic / delta Vbe
can give you the same answer.

So I am assuming that somehow
gm = Ic / Vt is used to plot the slop of Ic so it can be used independent of the Value Vbe.

This is was the text seam to be saying. But I don't understand how.

I think that I am missing something...
See Bipolar junction transistor - Wikipedia.

You get (delta Ic / delta Vbe) by differentiating Ic and thus Ie with respect to Vbe. Due to the exponential law, 1/Vt appears as factor.

Matthias

Edit: Note that Ies is very small.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Everything except capacitance parameters, noise parameters, temperature parameters, transition frequency ("fT"), and ... (I'm sure others will add to the list).

again, test equipment will tell you exactly what is what for any parameter. No guessing needed nor approx. formulas nor using inaccurate spec sheets.

All are fairly easy except small C's under intended operating conditions.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Joined 2016
Paid Member
I can't see how.

gm = Ic / Vt
and
gm = delta Ic / delta Vbe
can give you the same answer.

So I am assuming that somehow
gm = Ic / Vt is used to plot the slop of Ic so it can be used independent of the Value Vbe.

This is was the text seam to be saying. But I don't understand how.

I think that I am missing something...
Hi Bob.

Could you please help me out here with some more details.

Can you please try and explain a little more with possible a mathematical example.
As Ies is small, and Ie almost equals Ic, you may approximate

Ic = Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut).

Now, gm = (Delta Ic) / (Delta Vbe) is given by the differential quotient gm = (d Ic) / (d Vbe), and you have

(d Ic) / (d Vbe) = 1/Ut * Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut) = Ic / Ut

from differentiation (exp(x))' = exp(x) and chain rule of differential calculus.

Matthias

Edit: cross-post with previous post. Better to save the effort?

Last edited:
Joined 2016
Paid Member
As Ies is small, and Ie almost equals Ic, you may approximate

Ic = Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut).

Now, gm = (Delta Ic) / (Delta Vbe) is given by the differential quotient gm = (d Ic) / (d Vbe), and you have

(d Ic) / (d Vbe) = 1/Ut * Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut) = Ic / Ut

from differentiation (exp(x))' = exp(x) and chain rule of differential calculus.

Matthias

Edit: cross-post with previous post. Better to save the effort?
Thanks for your efforts matze.

So your formula Ic = Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut).

Is the same as the one at the top of page 17

Ic = Is * exp(Vbe/Vt).

Or is les something different to Is and Ut something different to Vt.

Just a bit confused with the different variable abbreviations of the variables

In some countries, we do not have letter "V" in the alphabet, therefore we are forced to use the letter "U" instead to label the voltage.

Hence Vt = Ut.

And transconductance gm is the slope of the function Ic = f(Vbe).
And in math, the slope is a differential quantity dy/dx. For a straight line we have Slope formula (article) | Slope |
Khan Academy

For a given DC Ic current the slope of the function Ic = Is * exp(Vbe/Vt) is gm = Ic/Vt

Thanks for your efforts matze.

So your formula Ic = Ies * exp(Vbe/Ut).

Is the same as the one at the top of page 17

Ic = Is * exp(Vbe/Vt).

Or is les something different to Is and Ut something different to Vt.

Just a bit confused with the different variable abbreviations of the variables
Yes, Ies is the same as Is in Bob's book (see also the Wikipedia reference from the earlier post). Sorry for mixing U with V; in German "engineering slang", U is often used for voltages.

Matthias

In some countries, we do not have letter "V" in the alphabet, therefore we are forced to use the letter "U" instead to label the voltage.

Hence Vt = Ut.

And transconductance gm is the slope of the function Ic = f(Vbe).
And in math, the slope is a differential quantity dy/dx. For a straight line we have Slope formula (article) | Slope |
Khan Academy

For a given DC Ic current the slope of the function Ic = Is * exp(Vbe/Vt) is gm = Ic/Vt
Thanks for that, Jony. We ideed have a "V" in the alphabet; do not know, where the convention of "U" for voltages stems from. Clearly off-topic for this thread ;-)

Matthias

Generally? .... it is true.

Rbb ? Measure base spreading resistance. - Page 1

-RM

Actually, I sort of mis-read your assertion as being that one can measure anything with a curve tracer. Now I realize you were saying essentially measure anything with test equipment. The latter is closer to being true, although even then for some parameters one must design some kind of test jig or test circuit to allow off-the-shelf test equipment to measure the parameter that one needs. Let's just agree that, by itself, a curve tracer is not the answer to the maiden's prayer.

Cheers,
Bob

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Congratulations, Bob! If you and your wife happen to enjoy our local agricultural product from NorCal where I live (grape juice), I would be thrilled to send you a few of them as a Thank You on behalf of all DIYaudio members everywhere!

Mark Johnson
a fan

*they store the grape juice in oak barrels a few years, for improved sensory enjoyment.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Actually, I sort of mis-read your assertion as being that one can measure anything with a curve tracer. Now I realize you were saying essentially measure anything with test equipment.
Cheers,
Bob

yes, curve tracer and a few other basic instruments. From following here -- so often it appears one cant trust the spec sheets and much is missing. So, when in doubt -- measure.

BTW - a flexible curve tracer like TEK models can do an amazing array of tests when configured and setup properly.

THx-RNMarsh