Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th August 2010, 04:46 AM   #31
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Bob,
Quote:
Understanding negative feedback and the controversy surrounding it
Okay, now there's a topic that will generate email! Time to wear a disguise in public there Bob!

I did go over the table of contents, and the book looked very complete. It seems you are including most of the topics for people who wish to go further. Looking at your responses in threads here, and the topics covered in the book make it very attractive as a source for new ideas and reference. I'm really looking forward to receiving this book from Amazon.

I couldn't help myself and also ordered "Physics and Circuit Properties of Transistors", J.M. Feldman from the 70's. I saw a copy for $2.56 ($6.49 shipping!). It looked like a good source of background information as a refresher for me. My text books from Ryerson never came back to me after a loan to a girlfriend's brother. I also saw many books on both low noise circuit design, and RF circuit design. Way out of my price range at $100 ++ to over $200. Too bad because there are some really, really good looking books there. Another funny observation at Amazon. Why are so many used books priced higher than the new edition? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Also listed is Walter Jung's book, another I need to save up for. I have the PDF file, but the real thing is far easier for me to read. In fact, reading from a real book is both enjoyable and relaxing.

-Chris
Old 5th August 2010, 04:55 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Yep, I'm signed up Bob, but Amazon wouldn't sell direct to Aus. 'Had to use a local agent at about a 40% markup including postage. We must'a dropped out of favour since it was possible to buy direct in the past. Still, if they honour their base price commitment, its gonna be great value. 'Just have to put the lead time on fast-forward somehow....
Old 5th August 2010, 07:02 AM   #33
engee is offline engee  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Ordering from Amazon in Australia

I have not had any problems buying through Amazon for many years. Not sure why you are having difficulties?????

Cheers
Old 5th August 2010, 02:46 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
I've pre-ordered now as well - $26 is not a bad price for a technical publication.
Your gain is McGraw-Hill's loss :-). They still have not corrected the retail price to be $60.

Thanks for your interest!

Cheers,
Bob
Old 5th August 2010, 03:01 PM   #35
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

If every Member of the Forum were to pre-order at that price, I'm pretty sure the Publisher would make a good profit.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:03 PM   #36
spind is offline spind  Canada
diyAudio Member

I placed my order, even though I know the content will be way over my head.

Steve.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:11 PM   #37
burbeck is offline burbeck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

pre ordered my copy, delivery date december, give me something to read in the hollidays.
Old 5th August 2010, 03:36 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I pre-ordered mine as well -- you're gonna knock Dr. Mehmet Oz off the NYTimes best seller list (non-fiction).
Old 5th August 2010, 04:06 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatech View Post
Hi Bob,

Okay, now there's a topic that will generate email! Time to wear a disguise in public there Bob!

I did go over the table of contents, and the book looked very complete. It seems you are including most of the topics for people who wish to go further. Looking at your responses in threads here, and the topics covered in the book make it very attractive as a source for new ideas and reference. I'm really looking forward to receiving this book from Amazon.

I couldn't help myself and also ordered "Physics and Circuit Properties of Transistors", J.M. Feldman from the 70's. I saw a copy for $2.56 ($6.49 shipping!). It looked like a good source of background information as a refresher for me. My text books from Ryerson never came back to me after a loan to a girlfriend's brother. I also saw many books on both low noise circuit design, and RF circuit design. Way out of my price range at $100 ++ to over $200. Too bad because there are some really, really good looking books there. Another funny observation at Amazon. Why are so many used books priced higher than the new edition? That doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

Also listed is Walter Jung's book, another I need to save up for. I have the PDF file, but the real thing is far easier for me to read. In fact, reading from a real book is both enjoyable and relaxing.

-Chris
Hi Chris,

Although I am a proponent of negative feedback (when it is properly applied), I have tried pretty hard to be fair in the discussion. As I mentioned earlier, I even have a chapter that includes the design of amplifiers without negative feedback and also amplifiers with wide open-loop bandwidth. Sort of a have-it-your-way approach to design.

Thanks for your support and interest, and I hope you enjoy the read.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 5th August 2010, 07:25 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spind View Post
I placed my order, even though I know the content will be way over my head.

Steve.
Hi Steve,

Don't be so sure the content will be over your head. One of the things I worked very hard on was to start off easy for newbies and then go deep. Doing that is always difficult, but I think you'll find it very digestible, while at the same time I'm hopeful that those who are very experienced will get a lot out of it.

I hope you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!