Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Setting the bias currents for the pre-driver and driver is somewhat more arbitrary. It mainly has to do with the ability of the transistor to turn off the next stage with adequate speed. This is especially the case with the output stage, where considerable current must be sucked out of the base to deplete the stored charge to turn off the transistor at high frequencies and high current amplitudes (e.g., high rate of change of collector current, or high current slew rate). To some extent, the more driver bias current the better, but there is a tradeoff with driver power dissipation. We do not want to let the driver lose control of the output stage. I discuss this in the output stage chapter. In some cases I'll use 60mA bias current in the driver. In EF output stages, some use a speed-up capacitor between the emitters of the driver stage in an attempt to give the driver an opportunity to act in push-pull class B operation when the driver bias current by itself is not adequate to turn off the output transistor. It allows the opposite driver transistor to actively pull current out of the base of the power transistor. This technique helps some, but has mixed results. The reason for less-than-ideal results is that in order for a capacitor to pull current, its voltage must change. It then acqures a charge that can upset conditions after the event.

Whenever you introduce a charge storage device into a nonlinear circuit, you must be mindful of unintended consequences.

Setting the pre-driver current is probably even more arbitrary, but one needs to be mindful that the driver also has turn-off current needs. I use never less than 10mA.

Hi Bob, Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer. That will certainly help point me in the right direction.

I remember reading something about that in Chapter 2.1 under 'Speed and ft' page 21.

I will re-read over that as well as the chapter on the 'output stage design' chapter 10.

Thanks again for your valued input.

Here is a discussion of this cap where I did some tests to determine what the most logical value would be. My conclusions were that you don't want the cap to store any energy under 20KHz, because that will cause bias pumping in response to audio signals and thus high order harmonics. It's counter-intuitive, but ultimately true. At RF, degenerating the drivers will limit their ability to pump up bias during oscillation or RFI.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...s-ab-power-amp-200w8r-400w4r.html#post3502255

Here is a discussion of this cap where I did some tests to determine what the most logical value would be. My conclusions were that you don't want the cap to store any energy under 20KHz, because that will cause bias pumping in response to audio signals and thus high order harmonics. It's counter-intuitive, but ultimately true. At RF, degenerating the drivers will limit their ability to pump up bias during oscillation or RFI.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...s-ab-power-amp-200w8r-400w4r.html#post3502255

This is a good analysis. There are many ways to look at this issue. In hi-end audio, "everything matters", but that needs to be prioritized, and we need to be consistent in our different areas of the pursuit of perfection.

In my view, if we give equal importance to output transistor base suck-out as to other subtle hi-end issues, the driver(s) should never lose control of the output transistor at drive levels up to full power at 20kHz into 4 ohms. If this can be done with dc-coupled techniques, as by running adequate bias current through the drivers, that is a wonderful thing, and the best way to do it while avoiding the risk of subtle reductions in sound quality. But this can burn considerable power in the driver and is only practical when output Triples are used (they should always be used in any serious hi-end amplifier anyway).

If instead we use a speed-up capacitor, we have to deal with the issue of hangover and bias pumping (I like that term) at full power, 20kHz into 4 ohms if we are to be fair in the comparison). It does not take a large number of millivolts of hangover to disturb the bias current of the output stage to lie well away from the Oliver criteria.

With a DC approach to the problem, one thing that can help a bit is to put a diode in series with the resistor connecting the emitters of the complementary pair of drivers (when their bias is set in this way instead of by base-emitter resistors on the power transistors). This merely cuts in half the impedance between the driver emitters when one is off. It is not a complete panacea.

All of these approaches involve compromises.

Fast output transistors help a lot.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob,

Did you cover Error Correcting circuits?

Like this one in Electronics World by William de Bruyn June 1997

If not, would you like to comment on the approach?

View attachment 564360

THx-RNMarsh

Yes, in fact I had a whole chapter in the book on error correction, specifically my implementation of Hawksford error correction (HEC) for vertical MOSFETs. The Electronics World article shows my implementation of HEC, so of course I think highly of the approach :).

Cheers,
Bob

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
yes, they look the same..... didnt check first... sorry. never mind.

-RNM

Here is the rest of that article --

Error correction 20004.jpg

Also, in the same issue is a very good investigation/analysis of "RF Effects on AF" by Cyril Bateman.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here are the two full Electronics World articles about error feedback quoted above :

K. H. Ellis, december 1996 :
http://iodau.pagesperso-orange.fr/Ellis.KH_'Amp%20err%20corr%201'%201996-12_EW.PDF
The Ellis amp will SELF-DESTRUCT if overloaded at HF and perhaps also at MF and at lower levels.

What happens is MOSFET Cgs charge up and can only discharge through the 680, 1k and 'R1'. On HF overload, the capacitors charge up to very high voltages until the MOSFETs die or the PSU gives up.

Adding extra Cgs like the lower 220p makes this happen at lower frequencies and/or levels.

The Texan amp this is based on is also a POS .. but for other reasons.

Last edited:
Hi Bob any news on how the 2nd edition is going.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hi Stuart,

I'm struggling to get it done. Me, the eternal optimist, am behind my own schedule - again :). I am quite close with the text, but still have a few circuits to build and measure. Then after the final manuscript is completed, the process of publication also takes a few months. I'm targeting six months out for it to hit the streets. It will be about 37 chapters and 750 pages.

I really appreciate your interest and patience.

BTW, I'll be at Burning Amp.

Cheers,
Bob

What about a sneak preview?

Just kidding of course.

Hi David,

Some of the new material includes:

1. A new chapter on building amplifiers based on one of the evolution amplifiers of Chapter 3; a complete amplifier built and measured.

2. A new chapter on Noise that goes moderately deep.

3. A new second chapter on output stage design, covering more material.

4. A new chapter on switching power supplies (SMPS) for audio amplifiers.

5. A new chapter on professional (pro Audio) power amplifiers.

6. Expanded chapter on IPS/VAS design, including a complete lateral MOSFET amplifier with a full-complementary IPS employing the LSK489/LSJ689 dual monolithic JFET complementary devices.

7. Expanded chapter on advanced feedback compensation, including more information on TPC/TMC and a vertical MOSFET TPC/TMC amplifier design and measurements.

8. Use of the LTspice VDMOS ksubthres parameter for modeling sub-threshold behavior in power MOSFETs.

9. Expanded chapter on measuring class-D amplifiers, including some example measurements.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi David,

Some of the new material includes:

1. A new chapter on building amplifiers based on one of the evolution amplifiers of Chapter 3; a complete amplifier built and measured.

2. A new chapter on Noise that goes moderately deep.

3. A new second chapter on output stage design, covering more material.

4. A new chapter on switching power supplies (SMPS) for audio amplifiers.

5. A new chapter on professional (pro Audio) power amplifiers.

6. Expanded chapter on IPS/VAS design, including a complete lateral MOSFET amplifier with a full-complementary IPS employing the LSK489/LSJ689 dual monolithic JFET complementary devices.

7. Expanded chapter on advanced feedback compensation, including more information on TPC/TMC and a vertical MOSFET TPC/TMC amplifier design and measurements.

8. Use of the LTspice VDMOS ksubthres parameter for modeling sub-threshold behavior in power MOSFETs.

9. Expanded chapter on measuring class-D amplifiers, including some example measurements.

Cheers,
Bob

Sounds great Bob. I wait patiently.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Wow all that extra detail sounds amazing Bob.

I look forward to this new addition.

Will you be able to expand on power supply design a little further. I found myself looking futher to understand actual design calculations / component selection, soft start circuits and the requirements for high frequency filtering of the supply rails etc.

A big thank you for all the effort that you're going to Bob. Keep up the awesome work. I for one can't wait to own a copy of your book.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Can you expand on NFB and how it affects stability and margins. And examples of where compensations can be attached and what different attachments can achieve?

This is a good suggestion. I think I've already bolstered some of that in the expanded chapter on advanced feedback compensation, but I'll also look to see if there are a few things that can be added that would be helpful in the earlier chapter on NFB.

Cheers,
Bob