Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
Just watch the first printing to be sold out before distribution begins. :) That would be nice.

Although I am a proponent of negative feedback (when it is properly applied), I have tried pretty hard to be fair in the discussion.
I'm pretty sure that most reasonable people would be in agreement with you on that. That is the same view I hold simply from my practical experience with some design work to drive these points home.

Thanks for your support and interest, and I hope you enjoy the read.
I have no doubt that I will enjoy the book. I still read EDN and other publications right through when I get them. Even a topic that you know will have something there for you when presented from another standpoint. Filling in the gaps, or firing up a new way of thinking about something.

I'm one of those crazies that always has a note pad or something to write on wherever I go. It's an illness I tell you! It really is amazing what you can think of when you're bored waiting for someone or at an appointment. Reading new material will set off a series of ideas for a while.

Anyway, Bob, thank you! Your book will enrich the lives of people who read it in a similar way that works from other authors do. This is an opportunity for us to learn more. Application notes are the other way. :)

-Chris

-Chris

Hi Bob,
Just watch the first printing to be sold out before distribution begins. :) That would be nice.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

That sure would be nice!

I know very little about the publishing business, but I think they actually use pre-order data to size the print run.

Another interesting thing I can share, which I'm sure will not surprise you, is how very much I have learned in the process of writing this book. You learn a lot when you have to try to articulate something to a wide audience and you want to get it right; after all, the book will be out there for a long time (nevertheless I'm sure I'll have a lot of mistakes in the book). Some things that I thought I knew and took for granted, I learned a lot more about when I had to do actual measurements and simulations for some of the figures in the book.

Cheers,
Bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
I've found the very best way to really learn something is to teach the subject. As for the extra detail and checking facts, that must have been quite a lot of work. Is there extra stress to have everything correct when writing a book? Teaching is one thing, and you can deal in a less formal interaction. But writing a book is to immortalize everything you put down for a very long time. That's almost worse than posting! See? I've gone and scared myself!

I can't say much about writing a book, but I'll believe you on that one.

Hey Joachim, don't wait too long! There is a pre-order discount we're running on here. :) Actually, you will be fine. If it weren't for the discount, I couldn't afford to buy the book. I'm looking at all the others and drooling. I'll have to wrap Bob's book in plastic if I go shopping at Amazon again.

-Chris

The ~$27 is for the paperback.
That seems about right.
Maybe ~$60 for hardback ?
Hyper Congratulations ......
I've dreamed of writing a book :)

Hi hitswire,

The $60 retail price is for paperback (there is no hardcover version). Actually, this is not that unusual for a technical paperback. For example, Doug Self's amplifier handbook now retails at $65.

Think of the current price of $27 as that of a great sale price, but that we don't know when the sale will be over :).

Writing a book is one of those things that has been on my bucket-list for a long time. (BTW, it took me four years to write the book, and my dear wife Angela deserves all the credit for putting up with it).

Cheers,
Bob

I will preorder mine tomorrow. I am especially interested in the chapter about amps without negative feedback.

That was actually an enjoyable chapter to write. When you are considering an amp without negative feedback, and care about the objective performance, you have to pay a lot of attention to detail and work a lot harder to get a very linear open loop. For those of us that prefer negative feedback, most of us have always said that you want to start with a really linear open loop before you put feedback around it. I can't think of a better way of exposing and learning about open loop linearity than trying to design an amplifier without negative feedback.

For those who dislike negative feedback and want to design an amplifier without it, the key is to bear in mind that just taking an amplifier topology and not using negative feedback does not even come close to guaranteeing good sound. One has to really sweat the details.

Cheers,
Bob

Hi Bob,
I've found the very best way to really learn something is to teach the subject. As for the extra detail and checking facts, that must have been quite a lot of work. Is there extra stress to have everything correct when writing a book? Teaching is one thing, and you can deal in a less formal interaction. But writing a book is to immortalize everything you put down for a very long time. That's almost worse than posting! See? I've gone and scared myself!

I can't say much about writing a book, but I'll believe you on that one.

Hey Joachim, don't wait too long! There is a pre-order discount we're running on here. :) Actually, you will be fine. If it weren't for the discount, I couldn't afford to buy the book. I'm looking at all the others and drooling. I'll have to wrap Bob's book in plastic if I go shopping at Amazon again.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

You've hit the nail on the head in several regards.

First, one of my earliest mentors at Bell Labs, an op amp guru, Jim Angelo, told me exactly that; i.e., that and the converse - that the best teachers are the ones who had to struggle a bit to learn it in the first place; those who instantly grasp something are often not as good at teaching it. A humble man, he admitted to me that he often had to struggle to understand things, but once he did, he could effectively have people walk in his shoes to learn it.

I have definitely learned that there is extra stress in putting words and assertions in a book, especially when there is a tough schedule. Even doing a paper for an AES Journal is not as stressful, because it is much shorter in length and there is more opportunity to check it.

This has been a humbling experience and I now have even greater respect for those who have gone before me and written books like this.

Cheers,
Bob

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bob,
I'm sorry to say that I don't have access to the AES papers. In my area (Toronto), I was about to join and even had a sponsor. Then a little man named Stanley from Waterloo University started to attend and quickly seemed to high jack the normal functioning of the group. He forced every single discussion into a math heavy deal and ended up sucking the life and fun out of attending. Comments from the audience were quashed unless they had a solid basis in math. The main problem with Stanley is that he enjoys debating, but only on his terms. I declined to join on that basis. From what I've heard over the years, it was a good decision for me, but I really miss the papers. Some of those are excellent.

This has been a humbling experience and I now have even greater respect for those who have gone before me and written books like this.
I do also, but another humbling experience that is accessible to everyone is to teach others. You quickly learn that you should listen to what everyone says (within reason) as even the least educated person can have ideas that are worth considering. In fact, those ideas can be quite a revelation! When teaching, it helps if you like people as well. That way you can connect with your audience.

The best teachers will admit when they don't know something. It's not a personal failure to admit when you're wrong either. You've been teaching here as well Bob.

-Chris