Bob Cordell's Power amplifier book - Page 251 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 06:01 AM   #2501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
Increasing the compensation seems more cautious imo.
That's what the RC does, isn't it? RC Shuntcomp is legit, man.
Old 11th December 2012, 05:13 PM   #2502
Struth is offline Struth  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

I think it is incorrect to limit or skew the acceptability of RC compensation of the LTP outputs to just "approved by golden ears". Measurement confirms the positive benefits and respected (not fringe) designers use this method. Cordell clearly demonstrated this approach to be effective as a part of one that separates slew rate from compensation values.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
Old 11th December 2012, 10:54 PM   #2503
diyAudio Member

Default /OT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryDymond View Post
Hi Edmond,
What are you planning to use as the signal source? How are you going to generate a sinewave with distortion low enough to match your analyser?
Hi Harry,

The primary signal source is the DAC of the sound card. For low level THD measurements I also use bandpass filters. In addition, an external signal source can be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Zan View Post
I am interested in this discussion of software audio test systems but perhaps it should be moved to a new thread? People may feel freer to contribute if they are not worried that they hijack the Cordell discussion.
David
Hi Dave,

You're right, we better discuss these matters in a new thread, though I feel reluctant to start it right now, as I'm still in the development phase.

@ Bob: Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx View Post
you can cobble together stuff to beat maybe one or two parameters in a dedicated test
but by the time you box up the rigs, fixtures, wrote software to do even 10% of what a modern AP does you would have saved time working minimum wage to buy the AP
Hi JCX,

Very true! Though I don't mind, as I'm retired and have all the time of the world.
BTW, the same applies to building your own amp.

Cheers,
E.
Old 12th December 2012, 12:58 AM   #2504
diyAudio Member

How technical is this book?

Or let's say, if it were a text for a college class what would the pre-reqs for the class be?
Old 12th December 2012, 01:17 AM   #2505
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbaile2 View Post
How technical is this book?

Or let's say, if it were a text for a college class what would the pre-reqs for the class be?
In my opinion it does a good job of spanning quite a range of understanding and abilities. High-school algebra is probably a requirement to really understand the discussion. Aside from that, a dedicated high school student (especially with an introductory class in basic electronics) would probably find most of it useful and understandable, though some sections would be set aside for future study; and a college graduate electrical engineer would likewise find most of it useful and understandable, though some sections would be quickly skimmed.

Dale
Old 12th December 2012, 01:33 AM   #2506
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

Bob's book only requires high-school math and schematic reading skills unless you want to venture into the chapters about simulating circuits. Same goes for Self's books and my books without the sim stuff.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
Old 12th December 2012, 01:38 AM   #2507
wahab is offline wahab  Algeria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keantoken View Post
That's what the RC does, isn't it?
Yes , although with a brute force method that load the input stage abruptly...
Old 12th December 2012, 02:46 AM   #2508
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys

Standard miller compensation seems much more brute-force than the RC across the diff output. The latter comes into play in the 100kHz+ range - often much higher even than this. Miller seems much more like "strangling" the circuitry.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
Old 12th December 2012, 03:14 AM   #2509
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahab View Post
Yes , although with a brute force method that load the input stage abruptly...
Actually, RC shuntcomp applied correctly has great finesse... But you have to know how to apply it and when. Edmund's TIS is a good example of RC shuntcomp. My old headphone amp is another example, though it is pretty old and not necessarily a good one. Oh yeah and Symasym.
Old 12th December 2012, 11:20 AM   #2510
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struth View Post
Hi Guys

Standard miller compensation seems much more brute-force than the RC across the diff output. The latter comes into play in the 100kHz+ range - often much higher even than this. Miller seems much more like "strangling" the circuitry.

Have fun
Kevin O'Connor
The miller cap applies local feedback around the TIS (VAS) and actually linearizes it. It's actually a very elegant solution.

If you wan more sophistication, then you need to move to MIC, TMC or the like. This will help with speed (MIC) and TMC gets you another 15 dB of loop gain at HF without too much trouble.

Hide this!Advertise here!