speaker and amp distortion - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th July 2010, 08:14 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default chasing tenths

I've been making fun of amp designers chasing tenths of distortion into resistor loads when speakers are in single digits distortion. Look at the thread on solid state forum on the output capacitor subjective and objective observations. Amps with output capacitors in series with the speaker are totally out of fashion, having a tenth or two of distortion. But such obsolete amps do not torch the speaker winding nearly as often as split supply amps with directly connected transistors that lack expensive SOA measurement circuits and speaker disconnect relays. There are a lot of speaker housings missing drivers, and amps with shiny new output transistors, at the music resale shop. I spent most of my limited pile of money on the speakers, then upgraded a reviled capacitor coupled output amp (seach DJoffe mod) and also bought a reviled "PA" amp that has very carefully thought out SOA (safe operating area) detection, DC crowbar Triac fault circuits, and expensive speaker disconnect relays. Programming a SOA detection circuit is so difficult even one kit builder is ducking the issue and selling microprocessor controlled clipping circuits. (He's australian) Both amps sound pretty good on the SP2 speakers to me compared to the Steinway piano located below & between the speakers.
Before I delve into distortion measurement, I'm looking for a bargain on Neumann or Shope(?) microphones. I would also have to change my computer from Linix back to the mainstream Win*X%s and suffer the viruses like a man.
As far as room effects go, I was delighted when I looked at my house that it has a living/dining room about 16'x10'x30'. I have the speakers on stands high above the piano at the narrow and, and sit on a chair about 20 feet away when I want the best sound. This shape room has been the preferred concert hall shape since at least Mozart's time. When I was in band we played the wedge shaped brick wall Junior High auditoreum, perfectly awful, and the circular Astrodome, so bad only one band in town could play it, us, and only by following visual clues and ignoring our ears. The first step in good home audio is buying or modifying your house.

Last edited by indianajo; 25th July 2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: room effect
Old 25th July 2010, 09:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Th3 uN1Qu3
I totally agree with you except on one point - what viruses? I haven't had one in my computer in over 3 years, and i do not run any real-time antivirus, just scans every month. Anyway i'm envious about your room - in mine, the bass is louder outside the room, and my listening position is in a null. Gonna need some serious room treatment after i finish my new subwoofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!