Phase Linear 700 series II restoration - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2011, 04:08 PM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.L.F. View Post
OK, here is the current situation, not that easy: I've put left channel rail fuses. Set main PS at the stepped level of 10-20-30V and measured DC at outputs. Offset voltage was almost equal to PS level. Across both zeners very low readings (1.4-1.8V). Didn't keep the circuits up too long to avoid a new damage. For the same reason didn't want to increase PS voltage - anyway going from 10V to 30V the voltage on zeners was marginally higher (unlike it is the case without rail fuses on). When I took out the fuses, across both zeners the voltage was good = 4.4V-10.2V for the same main PS levels (10-20-30V).

All drivers and outputs were installed. I've checked them with ohmmeter - in line with the service manual - they seem all be good (not shorted).

Can that be one of the faulty drivers, that PL36 is trying to drive and therefore zener's network shows overloading?

Again, please share your views and suggestions. Thank you!
Another troublshooting tip & to try
I found that the "POT" located on the Main board to be easily over looked when troubleshooting & to be the source of the Bia's problem
It also can cause the Amp to run at at Higher than normal Temperatures, which my amp did for years until I finally fixed it! (computer fans are the best & Cheap)

I have Replaced Many of the pots now & have add them to the list of Parts. Another temporally solution would be to clean them w "Deoxit" which I never tried, I just replace them now

I did take one apart & it was in pretty Bad shape!

if you thing about it the pots are really old & one good thing about the Phace Linear amps is that they do not have very many pots & switchs wow the older Pioneer SX have all kinds of them & can be a source of all kinds of problems my cheaper Sx-550 sounds great cuz it has less of them! LOL
I hope this help somebody just another thing to add to the list after replacing the Bias Transistors
Old 27th January 2013, 03:32 PM   #52
P.L.F. is offline P.L.F.  Poland
diyAudio Member

Post Phase Linear 700 series II restoration - summary

If you are looking for more advice regarding the PL700 II restoration, please have a look there:

- Any Phase Linear Experts out there? - Page 17 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums -> lessons learned from my repairs discussed here earlier on;

- Phase Linear 700 II recapping and more - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums -> specifically you may read "PL700II quick repair advice.pdf" file and subsequent remarks in the thread.

Good luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!