Replacement capacitors for Acurus A250?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I'm new here and hoping to be able to get some help in finding new capacitors (the two large caps in the rear of amp) for my A250 that died a couple weeks ago. I moved to a nice new apartment about a year ago here in Florida and our power will click on and off (just for a few seconds) a couple times a week and the last time this happened my amp died.

If I turn on the amp I get a loud tone/buzz through the speakers but the second I turn the amp off the tone stops. I've been told (for what its worth) that since this amp will play music for 30-45 seconds after turning it off (when working properly) that it's most likely the two big storage caps that have died.

I'm great with a soldering iron but know nothing about the inner workings of audio amps so if anyone here agrees or disagress with what I've been told I'd love to hear your opinion and if it is those caps where can I find good replacements and what should they cost (ballpark)?

Thanks for taking the time to read my question.
Take care,
Kevin

There is a 10 ohm resistor on the input from signal ground to chassis ground.

Check it.

So you believe this is may be what is actually wrong with my amp NOT the big capacitors?

I appreciate the information and will try to find out where this part is and how to check it, I do have a multimeter but I only use it for checking continuity.

I solder for a living but I know next to nothing about the inner working of audio gear though I'm a music lover so I do have two rooms (office and living room) setup with fairly nice audio equipment. Right now the office in which I work is silent and its driving me nuts so I need to fix this amp. This is the longest my Maggie's have ever gone with playing music.
Thanks again!
Kevin

Hello Kevin, Acurus was bought by Klipsch around 10 years ago. The last time I contacted them, they were pretty good about sending you a PDF of the schematic, this will help you a lot with your troubleshooting. I would suggest that you contact them first.

Peace,

Dave

Thanks for the info, I don't understand why Klipsch would buy out Mondial to just let them set there and die. I do have a schematic in PDF form that I've downloaded.

since the loud tone/buzz stops the second you turn off the amp I've been told that it's the 2 large capacitors that have died. If I play music I can faintly hear it but its drowned out by the loud tone.

I'm not sure what to think as this is not area of expertise. I've also been told that the two 23,000uf 95VDC caps would cost me about $100 to replace.

The amp is laid out very cleanly and IF it were the caps it wouldn't be to hard to rerplace them as it appears that all wires are merely bolted on. I'd hate to spend a hundred of capacitors only to find out that it wasn't the problem.

This is a great site and I'm so glad that I found it, maybe one day when I have more time to spend reading it I'll actually learn something. :)
Take care.

There is a 10 ohm resistor on the input from signal ground to chassis ground.

Check it.

Do you think that the resistor may have gone bad that that's why the amp stopped working?

You can still fainlty hear music playing but the noise is much louder and now its quiet the second you turn off the amp, when it worked correctly music would play for 30-40 seconds after switching it off.

I would think (probably wrongly so) that even the noise would store up on the capacitors and continue for a while after I turn it off and that's why I thought that it was the caps that died. It would be great if it was a simple cheap part rather than a pair of expensive caps that need to be relaced.

Thanks for your help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.