The MONGREL (supersym II)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OLG

No , but I did now (below) . What is wrong ?? Gain Xover at 375khz w/ 87 degree margin. I did cap. load with squarewave , minimal ringing. Triple is very stable.

I already built the LX and ran it for 4 months , so I know it has no "bugs", besides having a high impedance VAS (needs a triple to really perform).

OS

Hi OS,
if I remember correctly the OLG is extracted by making the ratio of the output voltage and error signal (regarding that PA as an opamp), ie, the ratio between "vout" and the difference of the voltages of the bases of Q1 and Q2. And so the result will be a little different that you presented.

Regards

eD

Just drop IPS Re to 33-47R , get 5 -6 db more gain and .001% at 20k.
not too shabby for no CM or beta enhancement.
OS

Attachments

• CLG.gif
    CLG.gif
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,211
I don't know , I sell lots of both locally. Dimwits here would rather purchase chinese junk ebay kits and show little interest in "real amps". I'm running the AX , which is a rock solid test voltage stage, on Cordell's diamond buffer OPS.... sweet! The LX is a "triple only" stage with it's higher VAS impedance. It's CFP input stage coupled with the cap multipliers and separate PS capability will make it the BEST (value/simplicity vs. performance) It can run .005% at .5R - THD20 (a freakin' short).

Below 1 is the LX as it will be on the PCB. Just another choice... as I am staying modular ( I WILL BE DIFFERENT :rolleyes: ).

The OPS PCB- (below 2-3 : pb150f) is final and tested. 3 pair (or 5 pair), it will be a mighty BJT OPS immune to the shortcomings of other projects. Pix of real thing (I don't "blab" , I build) will follow. NO MORE GAMES !

The kit would be too much "PITA" , I will submit the finished AX , EX , LX along with the PB150 and a huge PB250+ (5 pair OP). that's all they get. If they build it ... I really don't care. I will and be happy.

OS

Attachments

• the luxman.gif
    the luxman.gif
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,043
  • pb150F.GIF
    pb150F.GIF
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • PB150Fpcb.GIF
    PB150Fpcb.GIF
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:
These two schs looks very appealing to MHO. But if you want to be also a market winner pls try to contact Alex MM and together redesign board to look like it comes from Mark Levinson or something. You still have time to do it & than you can count me in. ;)

I will share my artwork freely , but will etch - drill my own boards. And sell them myself. DIY to me is about trying new things out , I would not go for a static , permanent board like the others. You might want the luxman's for your main speakers and the EX for your subwoofer. My main system will use the same PB150 for all 3 amps. I would have it no other way. If you like the design , by all means make your own board/ layout. :)

OS

Is this correct on the AX PCB file?
It shorts E-C on Q3.

Nope ,part that pattern ... I must have corrected this for my nikko AX - 2 months running. You should have no issue with operation after you "cleave" that trace. I also must of seen that on my toner transfer when making those boards (AX1.3) because they are also running at a club.

My test bed (below 1) is all ready ... input/ output 68-0-68V- 15A rails w/ 50Kuf. heatsinks are precision machined (REAL flat) ,have large hardened hex bolts with load spreaders to torque down the angle (I don't like angle , but I WILL do it right).

**** THOROUGHBRED mongrel :D

The new MONGREL is nearly done (below 2). The triple will run any of the modules that ran on the EF2. These boards are all integrated (not modular). I will make a 3 pair OP angle mount version , triple OP. and a flatmount 250mm PCBwith 5-6 pairs for the "big dawgz" :D This time I will only make 3 amps , a 70w for beginners (AX based) the 150W "thoroughbred" (board below) and a 5 pair "greyhound" (my MAKO) :D 300W/8r 500w/4R. The 2 bigger amps will be in AX/EX or LX (luxman M-120) form.

**** Standard "SIXPACK" unregulated supply (below 3)
100mm X 150mm 50-72Kuf capacity - RC snubber and led indication , use for either 1 or 2 amps. Build it real cheap w/ apex caps (8200@100v). Better than the Ebay ones (below 4)- Power Supply Module Board, for HP Audio Amplifiers DIY. | eBay No STAR ! , NO HF decoupling , NO snubbers , NO GOOD !!!! :mad:

All will be done soon , I must make it real first.

OS

Attachments

• sixpack.GIF
    sixpack.GIF
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,027
  • dbt_LX.GIF
    dbt_LX.GIF
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,021
  • altec.jpg
    altec.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 13,498
  • A-400TopLayer.png
    A-400TopLayer.png
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:
Hi OS,

is it worth turning around the transistor highlighted?

Cheers
Rob

With a double sided board , maybe . Reversing that to-92 would mean having to jumper to get at the base of the device. Both the to-92's just have to have minimal contact with the small VAS heatsink. It's the 2 to-126 cascodes that will see a 120v Vce and dissipate any real current (5.5ma in this case). The VAS to-92's just have the 3.4v forward voltage drop of the 2 red LED's to deal with , they should remain very cool. :) All 4 devices will be thermally coupled , which by the way, is much better than even luxman's circuit.

Same with the "DBT", all 4 devices are heatsinked together (the 2 to-3p's/ 2- to-126's) cancel out. Pinout in the middle of the "DBT" is for the Vbe (below 1), it mounts either in the middle on the angle or on top of one of the OP devices.
With just 1 Vbe ,when I've taken the Vbe off the heatsink - the OP's will just VERY slowly "run away" (thermally). Much better than a EF2 or standard triple - more like a CFP ... thermally. :)
PS - for my amp (below 2) is the final schema... it really is simple - but with 121 parts :D sweetest sounding/ultra reliable + amp yet.
OS

Attachments

• dbt.GIF
    dbt.GIF
    32.4 KB · Views: 408
  • fulldbtlx.gif
    fulldbtlx.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
Mongrel Triple PCB

Lazy Cat,

I tried this already and did a layout for the AX1.3 / PB250:

http://www.abload.de/img/topviewg87n.png

But the result was simply too big: 250 x 120 mm.
Maybe Alex can / should make it smaller.

Best regards - Rudi_Ratlos

I'm still waitin' Alex to appear with his design. I think that this sch deserves State of the Art board similar to Krell S300i output section or even better.

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 443
MY final board.

This is what I ended up with. No more changes , it will fit in my nice Altec case.
I just have to label it , run the snot out of it... before I trust it for others. I can't blow my one prototype , so I don't fear the stereo pair. (below)

If alex can come close (but prettier) to the style below - let em' at it.
A long board is the one on my single prototype now , below is the "L" bracket deal.
OS

Attachments

• DBT-LX.GIF
    DBT-LX.GIF
    91.9 KB · Views: 583
  • DBT_lx2.GIF
    DBT_lx2.GIF
    96.3 KB · Views: 515
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.