Wanted: Schematic and information for Harman Kardon Citation B from 1963 or 1964

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Harman Kardon Citation B.pdf
    56.8 KB · Views: 611
Last edited:
not quite what you were looking for, but it has a bill of materials in addition to users manual stuff. File is too big to upload. send me a message and I can send you a copy by email.

you can also go there directly to this link:

Harman Kardon CITATION B Manuals, Support and Troubleshooting - Amps

I am looking for all informations, mainly photos and a schematic diagram, so as a high resolution pic of the attached pdf from post #1.

Thank you very much for this URL - I have download the pdf Owner's Manual (Operating Manual). It is like a real service manual, but unfortunately without schematic.

About the there mentioned output power devices "H43019955" (factory number from Harman Kardon) there are no informations. Funny is, that by the part lists also the price information are listed ("H43019955" for $31,90).
Perhaps this amp was the first commercial solid state power amp from Harman Kardon, maybe not OTL and still germanium instead the later introduced silicon power devices.

The associated pre amp "Citation A" you will find about Ebay Item number: 250653508448

Attachments

• Harman Kardon Citation A front.jpg
    Harman Kardon Citation A front.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 730
  • Harman Kardon Citation A rear.jpg
    Harman Kardon Citation A rear.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 691
  • Harman Kardon Citation A top open.jpg
    Harman Kardon Citation A top open.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:
I took the liberty of rearranging the title. Perhaps that will help.
Thank you for your effort.

check additional keywords to get more information about google:
1) "ハーマンカードン Citation" (of special interest for Google Image search to get various pics of the "Citation" series in general)
2) Harman Kardon "CitationB" (instead "Citation B")

Now I have found this japan URL with interesting informations:
ƒJ�[ƒI�[ƒfƒBƒI�@harman / kardon(ƒn�[ƒ}ƒ“ ƒJ�[ƒhƒ“)�@�»•i�î•ñ
(http_www.groove-int.jp/maker/harman/index_html)

the translation claim about the year 1962, that is world's first (from Harman) developed pre- and power solid state amplifier "Citation A" and "Citation B".
If this is true, I can good understand the rare informations on the web. Perhaps only few hundred devices was go in production.

But Cervin Vega claims also this, (however already 1957) go to post #10 about
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...id-state-audio-amplifier-components-want.html

However - the power amp "Citation B" seems to be a very interesting vintage device maybe even equipped with germanium power devices.

Attachments

• Harman Kardon Citation B front.jpg
    Harman Kardon Citation B front.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 644
If this can help, I'm posting the schematics of a nice sounding Harman Kardon receiver of the same year, the SR 900.
I can send better definition files by email.

Attachments

• Harman Kardon SR-900_3s.jpg
    Harman Kardon SR-900_3s.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 579
  • Harman Kardon SR-900_2s.jpg
    Harman Kardon SR-900_2s.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 561
  • Harman Kardon SR-900_1s.jpg
    Harman Kardon SR-900_1s.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 597
Citation B: Service Manual without schematic

Now I have get from a guy a service manual with part list, but without schematic (see attachement).
But where is the schematic ??

Attachments

• Harman Citation B Installation Procedure.pdf
    56.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Harman Citation B Features.pdf
    25.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Harman Citation B Connecting Speakers + Pre-Amp.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 160
  • Harman Citation B Introduction.pdf
    41.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Harman Citation B List, Part Number - Description.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 200
  • Harman Citation B Operating Instructions.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Harman Citation B Speaker Phasing.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Harman Citation B Steps for Idling Current Adjust.pdf
    24.6 KB · Views: 184
If this can help, I'm posting the schematics of a nice sounding Harman Kardon receiver of the same year, the SR 900.
I can send better definition files by email.

Dear Orit-
I am trying to repair a HK SB900 with a blown channel and am in need of a copy of the schematic. The one on this post is too small and blurry to follow. Could you please e mail a copy to stevecutler@verizon.net. Thank you. Also the question on the output transistor is that they are selenium PNP and the closet modern equiv. is NTE 104. You cannot use a silicon variety since the gain (hfe) is too small-you will need a gain of at least 70 hfe since there are no other drivers in this stage unlike silicon amps which use many gain stages of low (20-30) hfe. The outputs are driven by a push/pull pair of PNP/NPN germanium drivers. Surprisingly these were not damaged and the output fuse is still good. The main fuse was blown. Most likely when the outputs short the emitter resistors .27 ohm one watt are also blown. They are not flameproof and should be replaced with flameproof resistors. I was able to get one channel on the unit to play well and it has a strange funky sound reminiscent of early transistor radios. It is hi fi but the distortion level is quite high by modern standards (.25 THD) for solid state units due to the selenium devices. It sounds like a high quality car radio of the era. The tuner section is good for an early unit with good reception and selectivity. Also the MPX of the tuner works well with an adjusment in the rear for stereo capture. This HK is quite a nice unit considering how primative it is.

Thank you-

I have a working Citation A and a working B. It had been serviced before I bought it (20+ years ago). The repaired channel has 2n3055 output devices. These are silicon devices. The transistors on the PC board are encased in screw apart heat sinks. I brought it here today to variac it up and it still works. The original output transistors, even though branded westinghouse look like early Pacific devices. I would also recommend checking all of the electrolytic capacitors for high ESR. Mine has had one replaced but I think I may change some due to age. I don't have a schematic on this piece but I do have one on the A. The most curious thing I find about the B is the individual bias (idle) controls for the output stage. I would also recommend an easy load as this amp does not strike me as extremely stable. It does sound better than most solid state amplifiers of that era.
Scanning the A schematic may be a problem as it is large. It is also a very complicated piece.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.