amp 1000W/2000W, IRFP240/9240

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HQQF-55-505W_10_1W.bmp

My last 1000W (2000W) amp, PCB 40x270mm, 10 x IRFP240/9240 (2 x PCB 40x270mm, 20 x IRFP240/9240 )

often pcb designers have a fiction or a vice with symmetrics and size ( including me ) ....playing this game might end up with an ultra compact and symmetric pcb but that comes with a a couple of troubles

one : that no one can use a bigger semi for the output if exist or if needed

two: keeping so many output semis so close to each other means that the heatsink has to be made of zorex, kryptonex, starson or any other material from the moon or jupiter to be able to absorve this type of heat ...

Federmann
Has anyone ever built this layout and effectively cooled it?
I am strugging to envisage an efficient heatsink layout to suit.:flame:
Maybe a re-design is required to the layout of the output mosfets to suit the real world.
For a working example, look at Quasi's designs which are documented on his website
Quasi's DIY Audio Site
HQQF.jpg

HQQF-55-503WK_1.JPG

8 pairs and 2x500W

I see now that the FETs are angled outwards 'in the real world'!:p
The new layout shows the temperature compensation transistor for the bias, not central to the heatsink, is this not an issue?:confused:
Also I would like to add my vote to the addition of a proper driver stage after the VAS. With FET amps I have modified to include a driver stage, I have noted better stability when driving real loads.;)
Why is the capacitor C15, that is connected across the Feedback Resistor R17 trimmable?:magnify:
Apart from that I like the distributed resevior capacitance on the output stage, & the separate PSU for the Driver Stage. :cool:

Federmann,

The symbols you used in the schematic of your amplifier for P-channel Fets is Wrong.....:p
Correct it.

I like the simplicity of your amplifier, at what current your VAS is running, since your driving a bunch of 10 Fet pairs directly.:eek:

Kanwar

Last edited:
Federmann,

The symbols you used in the schematic of your amplifier for P-channel Fets is Wrong.....:p
Correct it.

I like the simplicity of your amplifier, at what current your VAS is running, since your driving a bunch of 10 Fet pairs directly.:eek:

Kanwar

I do not have the EAGLE TO247AC for P.

Current T6-T7 = 10 ÷ 15 mA/pair, 10 pairs of 100-150 mA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.