pioneer sa-6500 ii blown fuse - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 01:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default pioneer sa-6500 ii blown fuse

Hi, I have a Pioneer SA-6500II and the two fuses next to the transformer and near the 2 large caps keep blowing up. I also noticed that one resistor (4.6 ohms) near the first transistor ( I guess it's a transistor as it has 3 legs) that is screwed onto the heat sink is burnt. If I replace that resistor, do you think it would stop blowing the fuses and start working? Thanks for your help.
Old 13th June 2010, 03:25 PM   #2
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Resistors don't go bad on their own. A bad resistor means that there was too much current flowing thru it and whatever is causing the current to flow, bad transistor(s), maybe (probably), is going to be your problem. You can change fuses all day long and each time you do could be making the problem worse especially if you try bigger fuses as many people do. The amplifier is broken and needs service. Do you have a schematic and what experience do you have with electronics? Test equipment?

Craig
Old 15th June 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Maybe I'll just have my co-worker look at it. He is an electrical engineer and has all the test equipment. I did not want to bother him if it was only replacing the resistor.

I do remember that I used it once and there was no sound so I turned up the volume almost half way and that's when I noticed smoke come out. Then I noticed that the speaker wires came unplugged. Maybe because I moved the entertainment center. Could this have happened because there were no speakers plugged in and I turned up the volume?

Thanks
Old 15th June 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
llwhtt is offline llwhtt  United States
diyAudio Member

Solid state amps "usually" don't care about having a load or speaker connected or not, tube amps on the other hand care very much.

Craig
Old 15th June 2010, 04:14 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This amp is probably over 30yrs old at this point and is a candidate for a full recap during the course of the repairs.
Old 15th June 2010, 05:54 PM   #6
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would bet good money that the wires only partially came out and have shorted the speaker outputs. This is going to be an "expert" repair job.
Old 16th June 2010, 09:39 AM   #7
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

The 4R7 burnt resistor is probably in series with the base of one of the outputs.

The outputs will be fried, and the drivers will also be fried. The emitter resistors for the outputs may be open, and the bias circuit may be damaged.

Hide this!Advertise here!