Sony ta-1055 issues - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2010, 04:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sony ta-1055 issues

I'm new to the vintage audio world, though prefer the sound to the newer formats. As a birthday gift, my girlfriend bought me a turntable and a Sony TA-1055 to hook it up to. I plugged the turntable into the phono input, plugged my speakers into the TA-1055, and turned it on. Unfortunately can barely hear a thing, even at max volume. As an experiment I hooked my ipod up to the AUX port and experienced the same thing - almost no sound at all coming out of the speakers.

I'm assuming this is user error of some sort, but I'm having the damndest time figuring out what to do. Is this happening because the TA-1055 requires a pre-amp on all inputs, because it's broken, because it's not actually as simple as "plug the turntable into one end and the speakers into the other," or because of some other issue that's not particularly apparent to me at the moment?

Thank you, and I hope I'm not flying my noob flag too high right now.
Old 9th June 2010, 05:11 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Some checks. I dont have info on this model amplifier.
Im not sure how much knowledge you have, so i will try to keep it simple.
1. check any amplifier fuses are ok.
2. measure across the speaker terminals with an ohm meter, Check for approx 8 ohms. If you dont have a meter, use a 1.5V battery, can you hear a noise from the speaker when the battery is connected to the speaker terminals. Disconnect speakers from the amp for this test.
3. If you can connect two pairs of speakers, make sure the speaker selection buttons are pressed in for the one you have connected to, ie speaker A or B
4. check tape monitor is turned off

If you dont get sound, then you will have to open it up. You will need to check power supply DC voltages first.

Good Luck
Old 9th June 2010, 05:20 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spytap View Post
I'm new to the vintage audio world, though prefer the sound to the newer formats. As a birthday gift, my girlfriend bought me a turntable and a Sony TA-1055 to hook it up to. I plugged the turntable into the phono input, plugged my speakers into the TA-1055, and turned it on. Unfortunately can barely hear a thing, even at max volume. As an experiment I hooked my ipod up to the AUX port and experienced the same thing - almost no sound at all coming out of the speakers.

I'm assuming this is user error of some sort, but I'm having the damndest time figuring out what to do. Is this happening because the TA-1055 requires a pre-amp on all inputs, because it's broken, because it's not actually as simple as "plug the turntable into one end and the speakers into the other," or because of some other issue that's not particularly apparent to me at the moment?

Thank you, and I hope I'm not flying my noob flag too high right now.
Years back I bought a Technics receiver on Ebay. The seller said you caould barely hear the audio. The picture of the rear showed the preamp out/main in jumpers missing. I thought nobody could be that silly but all it took was the jumpers to make it work. Sony might call it an 'equalizer loop'. Doesn't cost anything to look...

G
Old 9th June 2010, 05:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Also, check speakers are connected correctly.
Speaker A Left + amp output to speaker +, Left - amp output to speaker -
Speaker A Right + amp output to speaker +, Right- amp output to speaker -

If you connect speaker between Speaker A + & Speaker B + you wont hear anything

Also, check source selector is set to phono if you are listening to phone, aux if you have iPod connected to aux input etc.

A quick way is to plug a RCA lead into aux input, then touch one end of the RCA, do you hear a buzz in the speaker.
Old 12th June 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
big jim is offline big jim  England
diyAudio Member

Hi here is the specifcations for the 1055 taken from the service manual
hope it helps

regards jim
Attached Files
File Type: zip sony TA10-55.zip (234.3 KB, 27 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!