Magnetic Enclosure and Solid State amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I am busy building a Velleman pre-amp kit and have purchased a steel enclosure and accompanying tranformer at the same time.

I then realized that the enclosure is magnetic.

I know that it is a bad idea with valve amps that have an audio transformer, but does it make a difference on a solid state devices? I have shielded wires for connections.

Thanks in advance!

KNL

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the response, but just to be sure, should I be worried that the power transformer inside the enclosure (I plan to host both the transformer and preamp circuit in the same box) induce a magnetic field in the enclosure and in turn into the wiring system?

As long as nothing shorts to the chassis, which goes for any hardware, there is no problem whatsoever between steel and transformers.

Consider that huge quantities of commercial power amps, preamps, A/V receivers, CD players, etc. all use stamped steel enclosures with internal transformers with zero issues.

If your project fits in the enclosure and you follow safe construction practices, you are good to go!

Enjoy!
Paul

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Knl, steel is absolutely fine, just follow a few basic guidelines…

Ground the case to the mains input ground at one point
Do not use the chassis for audio signal return paths
If using an E-I type transformer, ground the transformer mounting frame
Insulate audio signal input sockets from the case
Space circuit boards away from the chassis a few mm

If you are concerned about radiated field from your transformer consider placing it behind a partition. A sheet of 20 awg steel should be useful in this regard, but it must be well grounded.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.