Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th October 2002, 02:54 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

The silver thing is my switch box next to the DIP upsampler, total cost of material is around $200 cdn. Anyone want to guess what the case is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oct06108.jpg (93.3 KB, 751 views)
Old 7th October 2002, 03:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I try to avoid selector switches in my main system. After all, it's a reference system and I'm using only one (the best) source. So no need for switching. I believe that even the best switch, has some influence on sound and can degrade it in some extend. Little inconvenience is a small price to pay for quality (whenever I have to switch sources I just switch cables)

Even my new preamp will have only one input (RCA and balanced) and no switch.

Previously, I was usually using multiple relays to do switching (both signal and ground).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rel.jpg (61.7 KB, 762 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th October 2002, 03:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Peter,
I totally agree with you when quality matters, is just that I do not trust myself sometimes you know you are a bit absent mind and pluging and unplug interconnects in a bad way/procedure expecially in a party with a few pints, may blow/short some kits by mistake.
Old 7th October 2002, 03:53 AM   #14
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
the case looks like a butter cover.
Old 7th October 2002, 04:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hey Jason, how you like my Swiss relays?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 7th October 2002, 04:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Close Jason,

It was a baking util from a dollar shop, I paid one dollar for it. It was tough to work on stainless steel, I had to drill small holes and file it to the size in order to accept the RCA plugs. 12 of them and one big one in the front for the DACT switch.
Old 7th October 2002, 04:03 AM   #17
Banned

them little black ones. there nice i so wish i had some plans to build a switch for my volume either relay controled or some fationed way some thing nice and perfect to work with my aleph amps. YES IM KINDA ASKING YOU PETER HELP ME
Old 7th October 2002, 04:06 AM   #18
Banned

ive been lookin on the form for people who made a balanced volume control but no luck but as i think about it i cant use one any way because my main input is rca so no worries. but the sound out will be balanced right ?
Old 7th October 2002, 04:08 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Maybe we should wait a bit more. Nelson Pass was mentioning recently that Wayne is pretty close with finishing the volume control project.

If you really want to make it easy, buy a switch from Michael Percy and install some resistors (he will include schematic). It may cost you between $100-200.
Old 7th October 2002, 04:09 AM   #20
Banned

that is kinda alot for me for just one control i was told to use a nice aleps control. can you get them steped. ?

Hide this!Advertise here!