Does my Onix OA21 have Dual Primaries 120-230?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Samhill
Have you turned off the power for a while and checked the mains wiring to the transformer? Assuming you can follow the mains Active(or Live) and Neutral leads to the power switch and back to the transformer, you should be able to see whether the wires that lead into the transformer are paired or single for each mains wire connection.
If paired, These could be separated and series connected in phase by a competent technician for use on 240 V. If only single, no. You will need either an external step-down transformer or the transplant as you say.

If in any doubt and better still, email the manufacturer with full model details. There are probably other owners on forum who will know the specifics. Hopefully they will have clearer directions for you

I actually redid all the electrolytics and upped the vol pot to an Alps Blue in this a while back but at the time didn't need to check the PT wiring. I was hoping someone would know off hand and know the color and layout to convert and save me a trip back in there. If unlucky and I have to buy a toroid, I'd rather do it in the USA where it would be cheaper. I saw in old posts that Tony Brady roams the halls, maybe I'll get lucky and he'll chime in.

BTW anyone reading this if you have an OA21 you should recap it and put in a better pot, PartsConnexion has Nichicon Muse KG 25mm that will fit exact: NICHICON-73623 4700uF / 63V, KG Series, Gold Tune, 25x50, Snap-in. It sounds magnificent! I've had this 25 years, last 10 it's been sending music to my kitchen and been under-appreciated. After the recap/pot I put it in my main system, Spendor SP1/2's. Despite it's budget limitations - plasticy tone on cymbals etc, it's one hell of a fine integrated, anything that comes close would cost +$2G in 2010. My Naim 250 is down, and I'm living very happy with the Onix while I save up for service. I certainly got my money's worth on this purchase. Looking forward to listening to it for other 25 years! Hat's off to you Mr. Brady.

I just remembered I have pics on file. Maybe some one can suss it out.

Attachments

• P1000951.jpg
    P1000951.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 103
  • P1000963.jpg
    P1000963.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1000965.jpg
    P1000965.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 92
  • P1000966.jpg
    P1000966.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 90
  • P1000967.jpg
    P1000967.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 94
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thanks, pics tell us that you have four leads coming out of tranny to rectifier on PCB and another (black and white) pair apparently wired to a switch on the front panel. Presumably, the switch joins them to the brown and blue wires which connect to the mains socket at rear panel.

The sixty four dollar question :- If these are the only wires to the tranny apart from the four secondary wires already stated, you are out of luck. Sorry. You have only a single primary winding. However, the yellow PVC insulation on the wires may conceal the splicing of twin windings after all. Feel the wires with your fingers close to the entry point as a test. A skilled tech. may be able to safely separate any paired windings but I would not rely on this. Stay safe

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.