out put toroids for hard speaker loads - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2010, 01:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default out put toroids for hard speaker loads

hi all
a while ago i found a site that sells toroid transformers that you simply install in your speaker cables in between the amp and speakers which makes the amp see a different load so even though your speakers may be 4ohm your amp will see a 8ohm load

i cant seem to find them any more on the net and am hoping some one here knows this product and the website where i can buy them

cheers
Old 2nd June 2010, 07:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slr 5000 View Post
hi all
a while ago i found a site that sells toroid transformers that you simply install in your speaker cables in between the amp and speakers which makes the amp see a different load so even though your speakers may be 4ohm your amp will see a 8ohm load

i cant seem to find them any more on the net and am hoping some one here knows this product and the website where i can buy them

cheers
There was an article in AX a few years ago about this, I'll try to find it.

jd
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:18 AM   #3
C37 is offline C37  Belgium
diyAudio Member

There was a review of this on TNT audio. probably what you are looking for ( link to manufacturer on page)

Cheers,
Old 2nd June 2010, 09:23 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

many thanks to jd and c37
that is exactly what i was after except for the price $700 for 2 toroids blaaah!

now how to diy ,they do not look to complicated hmmm
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:01 AM   #5
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I'm still sometimes a noob so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to increase the impedence an amp sees by paralleling a resistor of sufficient watt-handling capacity with the speaker load?
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:47 AM   #6
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defect9 View Post
I'm still sometimes a noob so correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it possible to increase the impedence an amp sees by paralleling a resistor of sufficient watt-handling capacity with the speaker load?
In series with, not in parallel
Old 2nd June 2010, 01:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

is this for a class AB amp? don't waste your money... the only time something like this makes sense is with a tube amp or a SS amp with an output transformer, or a class A. you could easily "roll your own" anyway and save about $680.00.

the output impedance of most modern amps is well below 0.1 ohm, so using an impedance matching transformer doesn't make any sense. the device in question looks suspiciously like a standard toroid power transformer anyway, probably using the center tapped secondary as an autotransformer.

Last edited by unclejed613; 2nd June 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

i am curious about this product as i am using aleph 2 se amps to drive esl speakers and am about to convert them to aleph j

with the aleph j amps the distortion into 4 ohm loads is higher than 8 ohm
they also dont double their power into 4 or 2 ohms so the above product would help a lot for my setup

cheers
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

EV, Altec and Rauland had EI-core matching transformers. As I recall the EV was called AT100 (for autotransformer 100W). E

Hide this!Advertise here!