Soundcraftsmen MA5002 power output type? Help!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Power transistor cross-reference help!
For Soundcraftsmen. MA5002. Channel B, Q11-Q16. Labelled over, "Power transistor 8" original p/n 419 222 00. Later changed to 419 221 08.
Don't think MTX (they bought Soundcraftsmen around 1992) will help identify.
The local tech is baffled. It *seems* that the label is over the lettering 'power transistor 4'.
This is a BIG, handsome amplifier. Gotta get those VU meters swingin' again!
HELP

It's like the original number(s) were scratched out, and the Soundcraftsmen p/n label stuck on.
SM didn't help, either.
Anyone identified the proper make/part?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Sorry, I wasn’t clear enough.
There seems to be no info regarding the numbered transistors.
Its unlikely Soundraftsmen used the same transistors in all there amps.
The link was provided so you could just try to get some more info from Sound-smith regarding which transistors to use in your amp.
Maybe they know.

Hope this helps.
BTW, where did you get the info you have at present? Part numbers? What is MTX? What is SN?
/Hugo

in doubt output devices broken

rather look for bad contacts in those bordeaux/white plugs between main boards and output device-board. They tend to crack if you touch them after all these years.

That's the vulnerable spot I found on my ma5002 anyway.

Also replaced a resistor somewhere in the power-on circuit if I remember.

MTX is Mitek Corp., who bought the financially floundering Soundcraftsmen around 1990.
SM=Service Manual

Actually, it is very likely they used the same transistors. I have two others, the PA5001 and A5002, and the differences are cosmetic. They are all three big, 50-lbs., 250 wpc amps.

I have emailed Peter at Sound-Smith, can't remember getting a reply. MTX says 'we don't support that model anymore.'

Believe me, I have been searching for a long time trying to get this big MA5002 up and running.

Attachments

• a2j_amp1.jpg
    a2j_amp1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 786
Yeah, that's the A5002 with the LED's. I have mine currently paired with a Kenwood Basic C-2 preamp driving my Pioneer HPM-900 speaker systems. Pure, simple clean sound. Mine is even usually set with the gain at the same as in the picture!

The PA5001 is a simple big box with power switch and two LED's, one for indicating it is on, the other to indicate clipping. Otherwise pretty much the same inside.

They are sweet, strong amplifiers that easily exceed their specs.

after a quick look inside, I have replaced the rectifier bridges also.

The resistor in the power on cicuit that i replaced was the big one, now a wirewound 20w.

I once wired some bigger capacities in paralel with the originals (wich still are in) and found out that there was a hearable enhancement in the lows.
Since I don't use the amp very often, it's more like a collectors item, I don't want to alter too much on the original.

Costly Hitachis

Wow! For those who clicked upon the above link advertising replacement NOS Hitachi power MOSFETS (I saw that a few months ago)...

These devices are unique in that the source is connected to the case. I have 24 of the 2SK/2SJ devices in my amplifier...at $62 apiece...$1,488 worth of output devices alone!

Or, if that were a big Pass style amplifier...80 devices would be $4,960!!! Kind of a humbling thought, especially if one thinks of matching them (you'd need a few more devices, wouldn't you??)

I just LOVE the look of the venerable massive TO-3 case.

I met Bob (Brain fart at the moment, I'm terrible with names!), the designer of the monster Soundcraftsmens, back in 1990-1, at the Vegas CES. He had a schematic for the PM1600/PR1800/Pro-Power Eight in his briefcase...how's that for pride? He had just made the transfer to MTX.

Only the un-informed would pay those prices for the 2SJ/2SK FETs used in the PCR800/860 Soundrcaftsman.

Knowledgeble ones would buy Semelab BUZ900/05 from Farnell, in those kind of qty for about $7 each.

The BUZ 900/05 are the 8A/125W part like in the Hafler DH500, a step up from the 7A/100W part used in the DH200 and Soundcraftsman.

thanks, dkj

for the info on replacement FETs for a DH500... seeing that price just about freaked me too, knowing I have 2 of the 500's that I would never want to not be able to fix - and at $60 each, you would have to think hard if it was worth it. Industrial amps. What every 18 year old needs, which is when I bought them oh 20 or more years ago.

soundcraftsmen a5002

hi i;m looking for help i have an soundcraftsmen a5002 i;m looking for the value of a carbon resistor thats mounted on the speaker termal ground side on b channel to the rear panel it fried now the vari-portional light stays on all the time and the channel is distorted i have a repair manual but the writing is so small i can;t read it.i would be greatfull for anyones help to get it fixed thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.