amplifier .... procedure - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2010, 01:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default amplifier .... procedure

looking at various threads for so long time now also producing some baby stuff my shelf ( figers with my theory background ) here is something that crossed my mind

some of the designers we have here simulated one circuit ...then tweak this and tweak that ... then again add a few of this technology and a few of that technology ( fair enough, i do this my shelf actually ) then through a schematic in the forum that produces a few gozillion watts and astronomical slew rate ,damping factors, bandwidth ....and so on and on ....

I wonder how often these astronomical figures we see is the result of the simulator or the results measured from the real product ..i say real product since this schematics normally come with a pcb

just a simple question
Old 26th May 2010, 05:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Jan Dupont
Yes one may wonder why all those "fantastic" simulated circuits presented here and in other forums aren't turned into PCB's or real commercial products?

But I have earlier said my oppinion here, but only got in return
Old 26th May 2010, 05:08 PM   #3
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Armchair approach is much much much easier, Jan
Old 26th May 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes and that is what I practice now, Pavel
Old 26th May 2010, 05:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Speaking about commercial designs, funny enough that I must not tell for whom I have designed the MC preamplifier . Anyway, the 'name' is very well known.
Old 26th May 2010, 05:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yes I remember that you made such MC preamplifier
However I can't recall that you ever have posted/claimed super natural specifications for any circuit here or else where........
Old 26th May 2010, 05:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I do not think so, I have completely released the Dispre 2 V3 version, with all the values, a year ago on my webpage.

We have not to feed the competition at 100%, but only at 85%
Old 26th May 2010, 05:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

And you are so right
Old 26th May 2010, 06:00 PM   #9
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I find using Spice to simulate amplifiers is like a Video game. Seriously. It's a lot of fun at times. The idea of the game is to get the best simulation results, most often defined as lowest harmonic distortion. You can use any topology you like and you are allowed to use a pure resistive load. Level 1 you don't have to worry about psrr or thermal management. Level 2 gets harder because you need to include them and prove stability. Level 3 you have to demonstrate good clipping behaviour. Level 4 you have to use a more complex load. There are variations of the game where the idea is to use the smallest number of parts.

You never have to build it of course.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 26th May 2010, 06:23 PM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakis View Post
looking at various threads for so long time now also producing some baby stuff my shelf ( figers with my theory background ) here is something that crossed my mind

some of the designers we have here simulated one circuit ...then tweak this and tweak that ... then again add a few of this technology and a few of that technology ( fair enough, i do this my shelf actually ) then through a schematic in the forum that produces a few gozillion watts and astronomical slew rate ,damping factors, bandwidth ....and so on and on ....

I wonder how often these astronomical figures we see is the result of the simulator or the results measured from the real product ..i say real product since this schematics normally come with a pcb

just a simple question

The only amp Ive seen here with any kind of astronomical figures is Syn08 and Edmond s amp, and yes its a real design, its built and working. The others are mostly concepts or prototypes with typical figures.

What you should find strange or even funny is how each designer claims his amp to sound the best in the world, this without having compared it to even 3percent of built designs available in the world or claiming that their amp is vastly surperior to any commercial designs available

Hide this!Advertise here!