Help with relay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've assembled a PCB for a "Marantz-like" 7c preamp. I can't get the thing to work. My feeling is that the power supply replacement transistors I've used are not the right ones... I am trying to troubleshoot it but my limited knowledge of electronics is not allowing me to fully understand the nature of the problem... Taking it a step at a time, I am now trying to fix a problem with the couple of relays that mute the output. They don't change state ever so the signal is shorted to ground always. I've attached a picture of the relay circuit showing the relays I am using. The relays are OMRON DPDT rated for 5vdc. It also shows the transistors I am using. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Please?

Attachments

• delay.jpg
    delay.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 341

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Circuit as shown will not work with silicon transistors. (Is it old enough to be Germanum?)

C19 charges slowly, which keeps Q3 Q4 Off until the C19 voltage rises enough to turn-on Q3 Q4.

C19 rises toward 5V*(100K/100K+470K), or 0.88 Volts. Silicon transistors need 0.6V to turn-on; in this Darlington affair you need 1.1V to 1.3V at the Base of Q3 to turn-on Q3 Q4 and turn-on the relay.

Either the schematic is wrong or they used odd transistors.

Quick-Fix: change R43 470K to 220K. Now C19 will charge toward 1.56 Volts, enough to make any silicon Darlington pass enough current for a reed-relay. After turn-on, the maximum possible Base current is 5V/220K= 0.022mA (and probably much less), which will not harm any transistor.

> a "Marantz-like" 7c preamp. I can't get the thing to work.

If you meant the total preamp: you do not need mute relays to have a preamp, they are just a frill to save your speakers from the preamp thumping some kilo-watt amplifier. Skip this circuit for now, just tack jumper wires across the relay contacts to pass the signal. Jump 11 to 9, 6 to 8. Then get on with checking the rest of your work. When working with a possibly unhappy preamp, keep the power amp input level controls down to 1/4 until you hear it pass a nice soft signal.

mwmkravchenko: I don't know if they are NO or NC. The pin configuration fits the PCB and it's rated for 5vdc so I didn't check anything else... I think they work. I replaced them with new ones a couple of times and had the some problem...

JOE DIRT: If they are not relays what are they??? :scratch:

ACD: The 5 volts are there and the pin configuration for the transistors is the same

Thank you all

Here's the schematic that this is part of. The relay's (or whatever they are) connect to the outputs.

Attachments

• m7c.jpg
    m7c.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 263
ppereira said:

JOE DIRT: If they are not relays what are they??? :scratch:

I'm sure he meant they are NO relays, as in "normally open".
Do you have a part number on those relays? Some relays are polarized.
Try to measure voltage across D4 when powering up the amp. You should see 5 volts if so the relays are either of the wrong type or malfunctioning. If not the transistors is not doing it’s job. Part number of transistor?

I did mean NO (normally open) relays

replace D4 and C25....a signal diode is the worst thing to use as a clamp for a relay it is used to prevent back EMF....replace it with a 1N4002....the capacitor should remain as a ceramic type what this does is avoids chatter of the relay....a 50 volt NPO will work fine

DIRT®

Abre-te relays!!!!

ppereira said:
Yes. 4.98V. I just checked. Can I just remove the relay altogether?

Obrigado

De nada!!

If you remove the relays you will loose the mutting function..and you must turn on the preamp before the power amp....have you checked the relays disconected from the circuit ans connected to 5 volt suplly...and see if they opened???

Um abraço

This is probably a waste of time... But I'm to stubborn to give up... I've been working on this thing for days now... Even when I removed the relays and got it to work there was way too much hum and noise....

I think I am going to build something else... from scratch this time...

By the way if anyone is interested you can buy these PCB's on ebay...

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=18audioguy&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

Hey Tube_Dude what part of Portugal are you from?

ppereira said:
This is probably a waste of time... But I'm to stubborn to give up... I've been working on this thing for days now... Even when I removed the relays and got it to work there was way too much hum and noise....

Don’t give up just jet, the relay’s appears to be polarized, e.g. pin 1 has to be connected high and pin 16 low. Check that this conforms to your pcb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.