ETI System A pre amp by Stan Curtis. Full article. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2010, 10:27 AM   #11
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I learned a lot from ETI.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:39 AM   #12
jez is offline jez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I must say that I am surprised by the lack of any downloadable scans of old ETI mags...... and to a lesser extent old Wireless world mags. It could well be for the very same reasons that I am not about to volunteer to do it
Old 25th May 2010, 11:08 AM   #13
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Reminds me of an incident at my first job. I was writing a manual for testing a microprocessor control board. I had completed first year studies, and had no experience of technical writing, so I mimicked the ETI style of articles... complete with its characteristic humour! It was never made for my boss' eyes, but he did eventually get hold of it. He was not impressed! I don't think I ever managed to erase the mental "joker" tag he put on me.
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:02 PM   #14
baez is offline baez  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jez for posting the article; I'd almost forgotten it. The physical resemblance to the Meridian is simple....COST. It was the smallest box I could easily get away with and it cost almost pennies to make.
I recall that it worked very well at the time but it was a long time and several hundred designs ago
Stan Curtis
Old 23rd June 2010, 03:46 PM   #15
burbeck is offline burbeck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

then there was the 'System A power amp' this was a class A monster also by Stan as I remember, great mag was ETI.
Old 21st August 2010, 08:42 AM   #16
NigelH is offline NigelH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

My first home build too. If anyone is wanting to build from the PCB scans there was a mistake in the artwork. I remember building it and the dismay when I didn't work. There was a correction published a couple of months later. I still have the magazines in the cupboard if you need the correction. I also have the Stan Curtis System A power amp articles if anyone wants them.
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:07 PM   #17
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelH View Post
My first home build too. If anyone is wanting to build from the PCB scans there was a mistake in the artwork. I remember building it and the dismay when I didn't work. There was a correction published a couple of months later. I still have the magazines in the cupboard if you need the correction. I also have the Stan Curtis System A power amp articles if anyone wants them.

Hi,

a great preamp. It was my second diy audio attempt in 1985. I was using a NAD 3080 integrated,then and I remember well,that his RIAA section send the Tomlinson Holman designed NAD RIAA,for a walk in the woods.It gave me 3 years of good service,repaying its existence nontheless, great guy.An iconoclastic design,using shunt feedback in the RIAA,instead of ,the politically correct series feedback.He wrote in the text,that although the shunt was vastly superior audibly,the series one was measuring better.(ever heard of that weird phenomenon?)It still exists in the attic,and there are times that I long for its sound.Some day...

Stan Curtis is, a great designer,but a bad trader.Isn't it ironic that all great minds are soddy with the monies. Any way his Cambridge designs of the time were running rings in the audio scene then.

Regards

B.L.

Last edited by wjlamp; 23rd August 2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:18 PM   #18
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

Wjlamp
---Stan Curtis was, is, I don't know if he is living,a great designer,but a bad trader.---

He worked for a lot of companies and designed many products which were successful :
Stan Curtis, the hifi guru, introduction
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:31 PM   #19
wjlamp is offline wjlamp  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forr View Post
Wjlamp
---Stan Curtis was, is, I don't know if he is living,a great designer,but a bad trader.---

He worked for a lot of companies and designed many products which were successful :
Stan Curtis, the hifi guru, introduction
I do recall reading an article or an interview,I am not so sure, in Hi-Fi News,about his unfortunate Quad adventure.It was written there.No further experience.

B.L.
Old 24th August 2010, 10:15 AM   #20
glennb is offline glennb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Likewise, I built a few ETI designs as kits, but I really was more an Electronics Australia man, and built several of their Playmaster series of amplifiers published in the 1970's - 1980's. I still use a ETI 200W 8R amplifier on my subwoofer.

Hide this!Advertise here!