N.Sano, T.Hayashi, H.Ogawa,"A high-efficiency class-A audio amplifier", AES preprint

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
N.Sano, T.Hayashi, H.Ogawa,"A high-efficiency class-A audio amplifier", AES preprint

I have not been able to find a copy of the article in the title of the thread so..... Could anyone P.M. with a copy?
It was the basis for the Technics SE-A1 hand built high end class A amp from around 1978. A certain Mr. N. Pass described the article as "a masterpiece" and was inspired by it to patent one of his own creations.....
Thanks in advance,
Jez.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Sano, et al inspired my patent #5343166 which replaces
floating voltage sources with floating current sources in
a cascoded output stage.

:cool:

Attachments

• 5343166.gif
    5343166.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 492
This topology is useful for high power amps. Technics US pat. is #4115739.
Another approach, similar to Technics, is described in the Pioneer US pat. 4476444.

I would have thought that the main use for the topology would be to make it practical to build 50 - 100 W etc "class A" amps, i.e. without heatsinks that double as central heating. For true high power amps other topologies such as class G or H would be more appropriate.
The problem with patents is that they are usually as clear as mud and shrouded in legalese but thanks for the references anyway.

Nelson, Thanks for the insight into your own patented version. It seems to get the best out of the characteristics of mosfets ;)

#4115739 apr-1977 is better than #4476444 for me. Lagging supply in #4476444 will only happened in poor designed digital amplifier (supply swing). Amplifier work as voltage follower already gives many advantage for its digital part.
This is my digital supply with slew limited for 8KHz bandwidth (voice amplifier):

Attachments

• dual inductor.PNG
    dual inductor.PNG
    60 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.