QUASI Amplifier for Beginners

Andrew T. wrote in Post 700...

"+-30Vdc will sag to maybe around +-27Vdc when driving full power to a test resistor.
The voltage lost through the amplifier could be very approximately 3Vdrop when delivery that full power to the test load.
That leaves your maximum output voltage @ ~24Vpk.

Pmax = Vpk^2 / Rload / 2.
I predict your maximum power for a +-30Vdc supply as ~ 36W into 8r0"

-------------------------
I can not measure the output power of this module. But I hope the calculation from Andrew can give you a example.

regards

Hi,

I built the amplifier (picture see post #663) with two pairs of 2N3773 and I use +-60V DC. Now the Transistors MJE350/340 become to hot. I can touch them for only 3-4 seconds and I think it is a bit critical.
Should I reduce the voltage (have regulated power supply) or are there any other things I can do? I changed the heatsink to a bigger version for TO220 like the MJE15030, but gave no better result.
Can anybody help me?

regards
Olaf

Dear Sir Olaf,

How difference using +-60V or only using +-42V at sound (using 2N3773 final TR)?
more deep or more mid character?

And for your second kit, using 2n2922, how about sound character?

i will plan this schematic for outdoor PA using 8x2N3773 or 8x2N2922 per-channel.

thanks,

BR,
Made Sumber

Hi lelut,

I have not compared the sound with different voltages. But I think, there's not much difference.
For my taste the 2N2922 sound a little better and more balanced in the bass - but that is very subjective.
I built the amps for my sons to make noise ;-).
For hifi I use ax14. Next project is ax20 with 3 pairs.
Sorry for the only few informations.

regards Olaf

Hi lelut,

I have not compared the sound with different voltages. But I think, there's not much difference.
For my taste the 2N2922 sound a little better and more balanced in the bass - but that is very subjective.
I built the amps for my sons to make noise ;-).
For hifi I use ax14. Next project is ax20 with 3 pairs.
Sorry for the only few informations.

regards Olaf

what voltage Sir have balance in the bass? +42V or +60V?
thanks sire for your information, i will try 8x2N2922 first with +42V,

Mr.Apex any advice?

ax14 to ax100 very complex schematic and made for expert DIYers :D

BR,

Just share PCB layout,
let me know if there is an wrong place :D

Attachments

• layout.png
    layout.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • layout_TR.png
    layout_TR.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,017
Hello Petruv, building power amp circuits on veroboard is ok for small amps using chip type amps but not for high powered ones as this is asking for trouble.

If you look over the forum there's many ideas along with foil lay outs to aid a building first class amplifiers.. Trying to get huge power from small power 220 packages at low 4 ohms is again not good and there for your better off using t0-3 or transistors such as 2sc5200.

Regards A.