DH 220 lost a channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My DH 220 lost a channel. I wasn't rocking it and it doesn't appear to be a blown output. This amp has been in regular use for many years. I gave it a cap job last year when it started sounding crappy and it came back to life. I suspect I might have hit it with a big DC transient whereas I drive it with a tube preamp. So... both the DC rails are fine. I replace Q1 - Q6 as well as D1 - D8 thinking I mighta smacked it's input and all of that was to no avail. Here is a copy of the schematic and voltage chart. Most of the voltages are close enough so I only listed (in red) the ones that are way out of line. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I cannot afford a new amp right now (daughter in college so I won't be able to afford a new amp for quite some time). I'm strictly a tube-head so these new fangled transistor thangs confuse me.

Thanks!
-Richard
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looking at the input stage, i would say check Q2, though I find strange that Q3 and Q4 having that wrong voltage on their emmitors still keep the correct voltage on their other pins. They sould be closed and their collectors at +DCV.
Could you measure Q3 & Q4 voltages again?

Be carefull when measuring as with solid state, a short circuit, even in the input stage, can blow the outputs, all the stages being DC connected.

It's fixed thanks to a few clues from a very bright friend. The clue was the positive voltage at the collector of Q2. His suggestion was to look for current flow through R9. There was none therefore it must be a bias issue. Bias is sourced and balanced via P1. Q1 was sitting happy so it had to be somewhere between P1 and Q2. That's pretty much R6 & 7. R6 was wide open. I replaced it and the amp started working. I popped the rail fuses and inserted current meters and the offset was still dead on, even after all these years and all the unnecessarily replaced transistors.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Case closed.

-Richard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.