One channel of my Parasound HCA1000A bit the dust - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2010, 04:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default One channel of my Parasound HCA1000A bit the dust

Gents:

I have a Parasound HCA-1000A that I have been using primarily as a rare chan amp in my HT rig for the past 5+ years. The fronts are driven by Parasound 1206. I am pretty happy with the sound. Much better than the Adcom amps they replaced.

I recently pulled the HCA1000A out of my HT system to drive a pair of Altec 846Bs. Last night, after extensive listening, one channel completely ceased to work. I get complete silence.

The costs of this amp is such that it does not make sense to send it for repairs. I want to try fixing it myself. Is there a "typical" failure mode to amp that I can try to shoot in the dark to replace? I have no schematics to work with. Fixing this myself will be a challenge.

Can someone offer any suggestions and help?

Thanks.
Old 23rd May 2010, 06:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You have to give more information, before we can help. Did it smoke? What about fuses?
Connections OK, DC offset?
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Parasound HCA1000A - one channel dead

John:

Thanks for responding.
I was not in the room at the time, so I can't attest to smoke/no-smoke question.
The other channel sounds fine. SO the AC fuse is good. I assume the PS is good.
The speakers work fine. Nothing was blown.
I do not know if the speakers are fused or not. I can put a DMM on the output terminals and measure the DC voltage level. How much am I expected to read?

I have not taken the cover off yet. Put when I do, I will look for burned parts. I am hoping the power trans are not blown.....

ANyone with a schematic for this that they can share?

Kwing

Hide this!Advertise here!