which NAD older generation amps & integrated amps are bipolar or mosfet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2010, 07:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default which NAD older generation amps & integrated amps are bipolar or mosfet?

Can anyone tell me (with ABSOLUTE certainty) which of the older generation NAD amplifiers (2200, 3xxx, N2xx, N3xx, etc.) used bipolar output transistors and which one's used mosfet devices? I already know that the 2400 used bipolar devices but I can't find one in Europe that runs on 220v-50Hz. I see many NAD 2200 for sale locally but I fear they might be of their mosfet design which not ideal for the bass amp in bi-amping.

Also, I am seeking which older NAD integrated amps uses mosfets and not bipolars to modify and give to a friend in America - can anyone please tell me which of the older lower-power (40-75wpc) NAD integrated amps (or similar sweet-sounding durable fet integrated amps)that are likely to be found cheaply but used only fets in their output stage?

I'm only seeking advice and model numbers to research at this time. please reply to sam_and_marty1(at) yahoo Thanks!
Old 20th May 2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

NAD 3020 used Bipolar devices.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 21st May 2010, 09:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

the NAD310 uses both power MOSFETS and BjT's in the output stage
New Push Pull Buffer Approach for special Kind of THD - MOSFET & BjT - New for me
NAD 310 - need some info
The NAD 306 is an "Only N-Channel" Class H MOSFET circuit and uses 4x IRFP240 in the output stage
Old 21st May 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

The NAD 2200PE uses the much liked 2SA1302 / 2SA3281 BJT pair. I'm not sure how much difference there is between a 2200 and a 2200PE. What pictures I could find suggested that the variations between the two models are small.

Hide this!Advertise here!