repairing Event 20/20bas active speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2010, 11:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question repairing Event 20/20bas active speakers

I'm gonna attempt repair on my Event 20/20bas active speaker.

Intermittently, the sound gets really quiet. flip the power OFF and the sound is at full volume before it slowly fades out again. So i guess it has something to do with the power supply section.

when the power switch is on, it allows some kind of backflow, but when it is off, all the charge in the main capacitors is discharged through the amp circuitry? so I'm just trying to figure out which component has failed and is allowing the current leakage.

Schematic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BASv1_Schematic.jpg (391.8 KB, 116 views)
Old 18th May 2010, 11:52 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi, I don't have experience with that specific model but I did have a pair of Event TR8 speakers and one of them completely stopped working. It turned out the LM3886 was bad, most likely because of the almost non-existent heatsink! Some severe cost-cutting with this model...

I've not replaced all of the Event circuitry with a Class-D amp now, and the speakers now sound a lot nicer with better dynamics.

So, I would check the voltages going into the amp, and see if they are dropping when the volume is turned up, I would be more likely to suspect the amp than the power supply myself.

Hide this!Advertise here!