repairing Event 20/20bas active speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm gonna attempt repair on my Event 20/20bas active speaker.

Intermittently, the sound gets really quiet. flip the power OFF and the sound is at full volume before it slowly fades out again. :mad: So i guess it has something to do with the power supply section. :confused:

when the power switch is on, it allows some kind of backflow, but when it is off, all the charge in the main capacitors is discharged through the amp circuitry? :scratch2: so I'm just trying to figure out which component has failed and is allowing the current leakage.

Schematic attached.

Attachments

• BASv1_Schematic.jpg
    BASv1_Schematic.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 357
Hi, I don't have experience with that specific model but I did have a pair of Event TR8 speakers and one of them completely stopped working. It turned out the LM3886 was bad, most likely because of the almost non-existent heatsink! Some severe cost-cutting with this model... :(

I've not replaced all of the Event circuitry with a Class-D amp now, and the speakers now sound a lot nicer with better dynamics.

So, I would check the voltages going into the amp, and see if they are dropping when the volume is turned up, I would be more likely to suspect the amp than the power supply myself. :)

Service Manual?

Groovebot, just only found this thread after blowing one of my 2020 bas v1.

In fact i still hear the tweeter, but the bass is gone. Would you happen to have a complete service manual? Your schematic already help a lot (i suppose) but that thing won't open and i hope for some wisdom from the Service Manual...

Thanx for any advice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.