variable resistor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2010, 07:02 PM   #1
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default variable resistor

I want to examine the possibility of creating a variable resistor to retain the parameters of a normal, good quality fixed value resistor. The main quality is little or no change with temperature, current, voltage and frequency.

A potentiometer, I found, is too noisy and unstable, does not like DC through it and so on.

A simple transistor can act as a variable resistor between collector and emitter, unfortunately I do not know how to control it so its "resistance" stays the same regardless of Vce and Ic.

Any ideas? I skipped-read the thread about the LED controlled resistor thingy, and maybe this is a solution?
Old 13th May 2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Check out stepped attenuators.
Old 13th May 2010, 07:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Ah I see, a huge switch with dozens of resistors. Just like what I have on my ageing bench power supply.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Forgot to say that is certainly a possibility and in that case I'd use just 4 settings, I would not need more. A rotary switch with 4 positions, and 4 resistors. Maybe 6 positions and 6 resistors.

But if I wanted something that will do the job on the PCB, not at the front panel so the signal does not have to travel over extra wires.
Old 13th May 2010, 08:59 PM   #5
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Digital pot chip then.
Old 14th May 2010, 02:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think the potentiometer problems you experience are from cheap pots. Try a wire wound in the 500 ohm size.

Like this except PCB? 43C1500 Honeywell Potentiometers

or this? Digi-Key - SP140-1.0K-ND (Manufacturer - 140-0-0-102)
Old 14th May 2010, 10:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

These pots are very expensive, I can buy two Eminence Stonehenge 12" speakers for that price, and the speakers are the most crucial and expensive part.

My solution will be to use 4 or 6 resistors, placed very close to the transistor (1/4 "), so that the voltage across them stays close to the transistor. There will be 4 or 6 short leads/tracks to a rotary switch (1.5" track + 2-3" leads), and those will be connected to earth. The whole switch will be earthed. Hopefully this will limit noise and distortion.
Old 14th May 2010, 11:15 AM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the 12 position rotary switch is quite cheap.
It can be bought in 4 versions:
12w 1p
6w 2p
4w 3p
3w 4p
Old 14th May 2010, 11:28 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes I will use a rotary switch, I already have a bunch in my toolbox. The comment about "pots are very expensive" refered to the previous post and some very very expensive wire-wound pots
Old 14th May 2010, 12:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

What are you trying to do? Is this something that will be adjusted often like a volume control, or an internal function like bias that's just adjusted every now and then?

CH

Hide this!Advertise here!