Which discrete amp for a +/- 48v supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I started this on the chip-amp forum but perhaps that was a mistake. Sorry for those who cross read.

I have several (4 in fact) +/- 48vdc power supplies. Are there any already developed amps that can use such a supply? I'm not looking for hi-fi really more cheap, simple and reliable. Application is general PA for live music. I can solder and follow a circuit diagram but I'm not clever enough to derive what component values should be.

Many thanks for any pointers.

Simon

I would say Dr Bora's "Legend" amp would be a good fit here. Look here - :::Borina Amaterska Svastara::: (in the "Pojacala" section). His site is in Serbian but there is a schematic diagram and a PCB layout there.

Unfortunately Maplin have nothing but crap now. They have some Velleman "200W" amp (really that's peak power, it's not even 80W RMS) but they don't have the transformer or heatsink for it!

jaycee;2182816 Unfortunately Maplin have nothing but crap now. They have some Velleman "200W" amp (really that's peak power said:
200watts times 0.707 = 141watts RMS according to my calculations.

The Maplin kits come with a nice pcb and all the components ready to solder in.

OK the current Maplin kits arent a patch on the 225WRMS power amp they did in the 1980's but they are worth a look for a beginner.

For transformers and heatsinks there is Welcome to rswww.com and Farnell United Kingdom | world-leading distributor of electronic and maintenance, repair and operations products.

I started in 1980 with a couple of Maplins kits and found them a useful start.

I started this on the chip-amp forum but perhaps that was a mistake. Sorry for those who cross read.

I have several (4 in fact) +/- 48vdc power supplies. Are there any already developed amps that can use such a supply? I'm not looking for hi-fi really more cheap, simple and reliable. Application is general PA for live music. I can solder and follow a circuit diagram but I'm not clever enough to derive what component values should be.

Simon
I suggest you:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/162043-mosfet-amplifier-irfp240-irfp9240-24.html
Work well on +/-48VDC
Regards

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Doesn't that Velleman '200w' kit need a maximum of a 30-0-30 Vac transformer? So maybe that one is no good for the OP.

That is unless these +/- 48v power supplies are SMPS which can be tweaked down to 42v rails.

I think in practice it would be fine... a 30-0-30 transformer if it's around 120 to 160va will have a regulation of around 7 to 10% so that gives a worst case of around -/+46.6 volts DC at no current draw, but yes it's wise to point it out.

Simon

I bought this few weeks ago.. it works perfectly. I think it's really "trasparent", a lot of "punch" ;) and smooth in the highs.... now I'm looking for a good preamp to fit this amp... but as a stand alone power amp is a good choice on my point of view...
High End Audio Modules

With Your voltage of +_ 48VDC, I think You could reach a good 100 WRMS... ;)

Go for DX Blame

I believe that anyway with +- 48 Vdc You are in the serious business, not for toys! So, if you want to DIY, why don't you have a look on one of the circuits proposed by hermano Carlos (aka DestroyerX). You should find one that suites your needs. For what I know you might get nice PCB from Brazil and and a lot of community support.
effebi

I believe that anyway with +- 48 Vdc You are in the serious business, not for toys! So, if you want to DIY, why don't you have a look on one of the circuits proposed by hermano Carlos (aka DestroyerX). You should find one that suites your needs. For what I know you might get nice PCB from Brazil and and a lot of community support.
effebi

Thanks for the warning, I read that over 30VDCis dangerous. I'm new to this and will do another amplifier since I don't actually need the wattage of such high power amps. :)
I just have these trafos lying around.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.