Restoring a Technics SU-V6

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody!
a friend of mine has a service center, and i've found on his backyard some monts ago a Technics SU-V6 very damaged, he gave it to me, and i want to return it to it former glory.
the power transformer was missing and the output transistors of the left side were shorted.
after replace the power transformer (for a sony one of something sony don't know what, huge transformer) and removing the shorted transistors it turned on and smoke comes out of a resistor (after testing i've found that was for not having the transistors).
anyway. it was working well the right side, and decided to replace all the transistors (boths sides) in case the shorted ones have blow something else, after doing this it worked amazing, but (stupid me) i forgot of putting the heatspread and the output stage (right side) blow out, also the fuses blow out, when i replaced the output stage (2SB755 and 2SD845) it blowed instantly after turning on, and the resistor (is between the bases of the output transistors) that used to smoke instantly become in charcoal. there was -35v in one side and +35v in the other side of the resistor. after doing nothing the voltages become stable and the resistor barely smoke, but i'm affraid of putting new transistors in case of blowing them again (aren't expensive but are hard to get). what should i measure before try again? the left side is untouched yet, just removed some component so i don't have smoke on an resistor for the lack of the output stage.
i left you a picture of how it looks and maybe it gives pity to someone and helps me :p http://i44.tinypic.com/11wgc9i.jpg
actually now it's just some boards on a table beacuse i dismantled for cleaning and fix the house of it :p
btw sorry for my bad english

Hi nigelwright7557, i've switched the drivers and tested again, nothing blowed up, i don't know if i got audio ok because i've dismatled it for some cleaning, but hooking up a speaker to gnd and to the relay i obtain a very small hizz (it hasn't preamp yet is in cleaning :p) anyway, i seems that is now working fine, thanks a lot for the fast reply, tomorrow i will ensamble a little bit more to see if theres audio on it :)

Hi again, i've tested it and blowed again, the output get shorted after i connected the rest of it, after getting the service manual of a SU-V8 wich is almost the same found that the board where the inputs are is called "Equalizer / Voltage regulator" one of those transistor i had to replace because it was fisically broken, had the legs chopped of, on the test points it sholud be -17.5v and +17.5v but theres -17.5v and +27v, after replacing the transistors on that board is still the same, i'm stuck'd right now, don't know what to do next.
thanks!

Did you replace the output transistors again or only the first time?
(...Because when you replaced the drivers you didn't mention that you also replaced the outputs) You should ofcourse have replaced the drivers and the outputs simultaniously.

The voltageregulator part is definitely still not working properly. You should get that down to 17,5 volts before anything else.
Did you only replace the transistors that you could see was blown, because a transistor can appear fine, but still be dead.

If you can share ( or link) to the schematic, we will be able to help you a bit further.

Edit: found it myself: http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/technics/su-v8.shtml

Last edited:
...it looks pretty strange thta you can measure -17,5 volt on the negative regulator but not +17.5 volt from the positive, since the negative regulator is using the positive as a reference - meaning it MUST be at +17,5V.:cool:

Anyways: check if the other voltages in the voltage reg circuit has the correct values, and get back.

Attachments

• Technics output stage.jpg
    Technics output stage.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 483
  • technics voltage reg.jpg
    technics voltage reg.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 553
replacing semis as a procedure to trace down the fault is very bad practise

first problem will be that the replaced semis are not of the same quality of the original ...
second the trouble free start up you use is absoluelly wrong and it is almost sure that will drive again in smoke issues

amplifiers is more about symmetry stabilty and most of all procedure

here is a tutorial about vintage audio .... if you follow it step by step it will take you a few hours and a few dollars to make it back to life for another 30 years

there you go http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/136261-vintage-amplifier-repair-upgrade-manual.html

hi!
to nrik, yes i've replaced the output again together with the drivers and now i'm out of them i'll have to wait to trip to buy more of them because where i live theres no electronics shop. i ve replaced all the transistor not only the blown, actually no one has a damage that i can see, i will follow the power lines from the transformer disconnecting stage by stage to see if i can find where the problem is located.

to sakis, thanks for the link, i will have it on mind for following it when at least can turn it on with all the components and without smoke ;) hehe,

and finally, to artie, when i found the amp, i start to look in a scrap pile to find transformers, after measuring, this one seems suitable, the voltages are lower than the original (original should deliver 59.2v and -59.2v after the diode bridge, the replacement gives 40.5v and -40.5v after the diode bridge) it's not as good as the original but it used to do the work fine until i blowed up forgotting the headspread (yes i know).

thanks to everybody! i will keep tracing where the voltage goes crazy

hi! it's me again :p
after some test i finally get some kind of normal readings, where should it be +17.5v theres 19v and where should be -17.5v theres -19v, found it by completely disconnect the left channel, and following the path of the failure i've got inside of the pre-drive board, the part of the left side, after removing the µPA74V the readings on the regulator stabilized, but on the predrive board there are some issues witch i'll be looking for it tomorrow, i'll let you know, cheers!

News!! i don't know if good or bad... i've find out that there was nothing wrong with my amp, the issue was on the replacement, they were totally fake, after seeing some pictures i've broken one of them, and one of the originals, the fake one has a die smaller than the half of the original, what a shame, as the original transistors (2sd845 2sb755) are really outdated and is impossible to get them, for what shoul be reccomendable to replace them? something in production so i don't get scammed again.
thanks for everything!

uff, so long ago last time i entered here, my su-v6 has passed thru a lot since last post, finnally got working fine, then because of the voltage regulator, it blowed the 4558, and worked just like that, some time later working everyday more than 8hs per day the tone circuit suddenly got mute, voltage regulator again, so i decided to replace the whole regulators with newer ones (7915 and 7815) got working perfectly, some time later (like 4 months ago) i took it to a friend who restore audio gear, he makes excellent jobs and in a couple of weeks i'm having it back, meanwhile i've been using a technics su-x320 (sooo panasonic) til i got a pioneer sa-606, so nice amp, got it with a pioneer reel to reel rt-909 and a philips ak640 cd player on a trade for an ipod touch 2g real bargain. anyway, thx to everybody. i left a pic of my system if anybody want to see https://plus.google.com/photos/1000...09320058873009/5705687385166111506?banner=pwa

is on picasaweb

So does that mean you managed to get it working perfectly with those 'fake' replacements??

it feels wierd to answer after 5 years but what the hell, and the answer is no, the fake one were converter properly to keychains in order to rip off my pockets (bad idea), and putted in there some good toshiba transistors, till now is working without a hitch on a friends house, because of a moving i could not keep it but he uses every day on a pair of sb-lx70 so is having a good life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.