Is it possible to build a good amplifier out of junk parts?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the TDA2006 might have been used as a vertical amp, or a pincushion amp. usually vertical amps are specialized for the application and are a kind of single-ended "class G" type of device with an internal "boost" supply, but an audio amp with a high enough supply voltage could also be used here. pin amps are usually just a transistor in series with the supply voltage of the horizontal driver driven by a correction voltage derived from the vertical waveform.

My second unit sounded much better than the first one. Maybe my 2SC5200/2SA1943 pair is fake!!!
I used this time an old stock of MJ802/MJ4502. Much better results.
I will try to find original 2S's.
Has anybody compared these transistors yet?
Regards,
Max.
(the circuit is from a famous schematics published in this forum, thread inaccessible for newbies).

I have some of the famous 2N3055 transistors. The ultimate junk box power transistor.

There are many old legendary amplifiers that were built using it (I think there's a thread on this somewhere) and perhaps this would be an interesting place to start in choosing a design for a 'junk box' amplifier project. I don't think you need to worry about fake 3055's as they aren't thought of as particularly valuable. BUT in my view, a good amplifier can be built using them.

I'm thinking about a NAD 3020. Always wanted one when I was a student but I didn't have money. Ended up with a Sony box instead...

My second unit sounded much better than the first one. Maybe my 2SC5200/2SA1943 pair is fake!!!
I used this time an old stock of MJ802/MJ4502. Much better results.
I will try to find original 2S's.
Has anybody compared these transistors yet?
Regards,
Max.
(the circuit is from a famous schematics published in this forum, thread inaccessible for newbies).

i belive that in this forum there is no threads inaccessible for newbies.... if you look a bit more careful ou will see way too long threads like the light speed like, the DX amplifier ,like the P3A ( in various threads ),like the QUASi threads ... all of them include high tech questions by real xperts but also stupid questions from newbies like me ....

if you bother to look you will notice that people like Carlos , Andrew T, Quasi even Anatech (that beyond personal life has also moderator dutys ) bother to skip lunch and work for hours supporting threads and questions no matter if questions are high tech or stupid ...

there is a condition though ... forum is about sharing and learning .... nobody is going to give you a pussy in the plate though ( we say in my country ) .... everything is for free except one thing : YOUR OWN EFFORT !!!!

i will not give you my pcb for free .... but i will help you make your own .... you will get advice but you have to apply it ( correctly yourshelf ) you will be forgiven for any stupid question but you will not be forgiven if you were pointed in the right direction that aslo needs a bit of studing on your own ...

if you study and dont understand much you will be again helped out ... but generally the basic help will come from you ...forum members will only point you the right direction ....

dont forget once again that there is people that stay after midnight and fighting with wife daily so you me and other memebrs are supported in this forum ....

i am just a forum member i speak for my shelf and i belive that this my personal opinion to your complains and useless threads my opinion of course is not the forum opinion .... its just a personal opinion ...

We have to pay respect to many of the gods that bother to spent a minute to talk to me or to you and all the other inexpirienced members ...

Regards sakis

i belive that in this forum there is no threads inaccessible for newbies.... if you look a bit more careful ou will see way too long threads like the light speed like, the DX amplifier ,like the P3A ( in various threads ),like the QUASi threads ... all of them include high tech questions by real xperts but also stupid questions from newbies like me ....

if you bother to look you will notice that people like Carlos , Andrew T, Quasi even Anatech (that beyond personal life has also moderator dutys ) bother to skip lunch and work for hours supporting threads and questions no matter if questions are high tech or stupid ...

there is a condition though ... forum is about sharing and learning .... nobody is going to give you a pussy in the plate though ( we say in my country ) .... everything is for free except one thing : YOUR OWN EFFORT !!!!

i will not give you my pcb for free .... but i will help you make your own .... you will get advice but you have to apply it ( correctly yourshelf ) you will be forgiven for any stupid question but you will not be forgiven if you were pointed in the right direction that aslo needs a bit of studing on your own ...

if you study and dont understand much you will be again helped out ... but generally the basic help will come from you ...forum members will only point you the right direction ....

dont forget once again that there is people that stay after midnight and fighting with wife daily so you me and other memebrs are supported in this forum ....

i am just a forum member i speak for my shelf and i belive that this my personal opinion to your complains and useless threads my opinion of course is not the forum opinion .... its just a personal opinion ...

We have to pay respect to many of the gods that bother to spent a minute to talk to me or to you and all the other inexpirienced members ...

Regards sakis

Hello!
(As you asked for non-private messaging, I repeat this one here)
I thank you for your comments and efforts!
My efforts are in doing myself the PCB; I will make my own as I ever did in life, for being a fanatic (as stated in the banner on the top of the page!); I will share mine, contrary to yourself; I will post every results from any step achieved through building an amp or other equipment under discussion; etc.
But I am not an engineer, so I cannot talk the same way like Eva, for instance.
Neither I do compare to the author of this amplifier, for his experience in life.
But I am a serious person, but somebody is trying for unknown reasons to stop me wherever I go!
Who judges useless threads throughout the forum? I believe this is the moderators' obligation, not for members.
If you feel thread is useless, just keep away! Go to the next one!
And make use of private messages, contrary to somebody's way, who uses to demoralize people through the threads, trying to act as an emperor. But he isn't one at all!
I know he has done much for us, and I am grateful. HE CAN'T SEE THIS, for he is blind!
The same time he had this fight with me, he did the same with all his thread partners. Most of them leaved the thread!!! Just take a look.
I hope things get better soon.
And I decided not to leave, due to have discovered very nice pals, which I will not quote for obvious reasons!
Have a nice week!:)
Regards,
Max.

The C5200 in Post #8 is an obvious fake. In this application, if a 2N3055 would work without going .poof, so would the fake 5200. But the MJ802/4502 pair are probably better than the fake C5200 - the 802's current gain holds up very well at 15A so you'll get less distortion.

I decided to build an amplifier with parts ready available, that is, reused from computer monitors, PSU, UPS, and some others from my parts bin. The results will be shown here. But the question is: how nice will be the sound quality? Will it last for a long time? Which are the most critical ones that should not be reused? Feel free to post your comments, they are all welcome!

I made this for under $90 AUS. Almost everything second hand including case and heatsinks. Transformer from junked photocopier and rewound, rest of components from junked electronics and old projects. New components were input and second stage transistors (about $5.00) and the resistors. Pretty much everything else from "junk".

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/96192-post-your-solid-state-pics-here-2.html#post1181386

Sounds awesome.

Last edited:
Fake transistor

Where did you get them? A close screenshot would help. Anyways, this won't help much cuz some counterfeits looks exactly as a genuine. Smashing the transistor with a hammer would only help...ermm...cough....just kidding! :D

As you can see in the attached picture, even being similar to original part, it is almost impossible to read anything that is on its face.:D
Regards,
Max.

Attachments

• DSC08535.JPG
    DSC08535.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 278
Gain=8!

The C5200 in Post #8 is an obvious fake. In this application, if a 2N3055 would work without going .poof, so would the fake 5200. But the MJ802/4502 pair are probably better than the fake C5200 - the 802's current gain holds up very well at 15A so you'll get less distortion.

Measured gain is only 8!
Others I have measured around 60.
Regards,
Max.

Attachments

• DSC08533.JPG
    DSC08533.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 271
Trying MJ802/MJ4502 output pair

Much better sound quality achieved with these parts than with fake 2Ss.
No, don't laugh that much! The heatsink was home&handmade for testing purposes only! Without the fan, no way...
Touching both transistor faces yields a good sensation!!!:D
Regards,
Max.

Attachments

• DSC08536.JPG
    DSC08536.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 258
  • DSC08537.JPG
    DSC08537.JPG
    197.3 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC08538.JPG
    DSC08538.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC08541.JPG
    DSC08541.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 119
Well, definitely it is! The sound is SUPERB! :eek:
No need to adjust anything than bias! No problem, no excessive heat, only glory!
Thanks to very good project from the forum!!!
Of course transistors were all new, but sometime I will try with some old used parts.
Let me listen for a while.
Thanks!
Max.:cool:
WTF on earth are those resistors paralleled with a diode? strange combination :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.