"Audio Refinement" Complete amp blown cap & transistor: Need advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Audio Refinement Complete integrated amp, It was sent to me with the right channel not working. There are no fuses for the rail/channels, just a main fuse. I took it to a local audio repair guy who I trust, he found a burned out transistor and cap onthe right side. I don't know yet which cap or transistor but the question I have is:

Does it matter that only one side is being replaced? Should the matching left cap and transistor also be changed??

I'm looking to get the most out of this amp.

The tech told me that the transistor was very hard to find but he was able to source one. He said the cap was easy. The price of work he's is charging me is $120.

Thanks for any help. Below is a link to some reference info of the amp from an audiophile in russia who drew up up a spec. and a good schematic of the board

Thanks for the help.

Macgee

Inside Story: Audio Refinement Complete integrated amplifier

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Apart from the outputs which the article says have the numbers sanded off, why not post all the device types when you get it back. It should be easy to spot what has been changed too... it all looks pretty conventional in essence.

Caps... hmmm... maybe getting to a point where you might think of replacement of some. Heat is the killer... a cap rated 2000hrs life @85 C for example (2000hrs... this is quoted at maximum ratings) lasts a lot longer as the heat and ripple current flowing are reduced.
It's a bit like a filament bulb :) some made up figures but not far off the mark,
1000hrs at 100volt
2000hrs at 90 volt
10,000hrs at 80 volts
40,000hrs at 70 volts

You get the idea.

And should transistors and caps be matched ? If the transistor is the correct type then probably not, if the cap is the correct value and type again, probably not.
Something "in us" makes us feel better when they are though :) even if we know there is zero audible difference.

Mooly,

Thanks for the response. I'm going over to the tech today to get more info and to dropped off/donate some good used gear I have no use for.

I'll post what I find out and I found out that our local distributor also has a good tech dept. and sells parts.

Not sure if it's worth buying all new caps for this amp. How money is it worth putting into and will it really make a difference in the Bang for Buck? I'm not doing it myself, I having to pay someone to repair it for me.

I bought it used for a second bedroom and was delivered DOA but the person who sold it to me stepped up and has sent me the money to cover the initial repair which was very gracious and unexpected.

Again, Thanks for all the posts and info.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Your welcome,
Will it make a difference (new caps), honest answer is probably (almost certainly) not... it's as much to do with the feelgood factor of knowing they are all new and will be good for another 10 to 20 years. The cost of parts generally is minimal. The four large caps in the PSU will be the expensive ones if you go for top quality parts... the smaller values... and I can only see a handful on the PCB cost peanuts. It's also important to make sure any replacements are the correct physical size, lead spacing and so on. Any work done should be indestinguishable from factory fitted parts.

Changing caps yourself is pretty straigtfoward with a decent soldering iron... you can always practice on some scrap unit (anything) to see how you get on removing and refitting parts.

Put it in perspective... if the amp has had normal use (few hours a day) and is 10 yrs old it will be fine. If it's never been switched off in 10 yrs, had an owner that covered it with papers and books then perhaps yes, change the caps. Other components won't have deteriorated at all.

Modifying "Audio Refinement" Complete

Spoke to the horses mouth (Importer), they have been very nice & helpful.

Orig. Parts are available and could be on there way for left and right if I order them, easy fixes. The big caps are fine no damage, he said that they are made by YBA and considered excellent and should have a long life. They are the same caps used in there high end gear and no need to change out unless damaged.

However, The small caps and transistors (non output) will be changed out.

The question I now have, has anyone modified these amps with any success? is it worth getting a certain high end type of small caps & transistors to replace the orig???

I'm going to change out the binding posts (I have good spares) as the orig. are awful for spades. To be honest I don't see a lot to modify or worth modifying. I could be wrong.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmmm :) just noticed in small letters a link on the article you posted to a full circuit diagram with type numbers of transistors apart from outputs and drivers. Can't imagine what the big secret is with those...

2N5551 and 2N5401 are standard "workhorses", cost around £0.05 each for Fairchild devices... and nothing wrong with them at all... I ordered 30 of each a few months back.
MJE340 and 350 have been around for ohhh a decade or three... and are often used even now.

OK... you are not going to improve on this easily. Often a design takes into account the properties of the semiconductors used and so although it's fashionable to say you can use "way better and more modern devices", it doesn't always quite work out like that.
Semiconductor properties of silicon transistors are cast in stone... there is no such thing as an "audio transistor" that sounds better. What folk mean is there is a transistor with slightly different characteristics (higher gain, lower junction capacitance etc etc) that can be put to use in a given application.
Those small signal devices (all the 2n's) may be hand matched to give low DC offset and gain matching... something you can do yourself easily if you buy enough of a device and know what to do... and have the means to test what you have done and see it behaves and performs as it should.

So again the bottom line here has to be to leave well alone.

Hi Mooly,

Thanks for the help. While I may seem very gun ho to cut up and butcher this amp, I'm in fact quite conservative and don't like messing around with someone's design. Having said that, I will ask questions, learn more about it and look into what options are worth while to explore. In any event, if someone else has problems or questions about this amp they will have something to read with this thread.

I do have to say that just replacing the amp with new OEM parts that are close matching seems to be the extent of the repair and keep the orig. spec's intact. I'll replace the binding posts with better ones and dampen the chassis. The front face and feet were also damaged, I have the idea of replacing the face & knobs with a nice piece of hardwood drilled out and engraved for inputs & buttons. This is easy for me to do. I may also change the chassis and make a separate outboard box for the power supply to give it a smaller footprint for my girlfriends desk.

It's funny, there are certain parts on the board that have there SN# removed, they must be very hush, hush parts or something.

Looking at the pic of the one side schematic that has been published by someone else looks different to my amp but I will need a much better look at both to really tell. Currently I can't see caps C106 or C103 on the listed schematic that will need replacing on my amp.

Again, Thanks for the help.

Cheers

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Manufacturers do sometimes remove device markings... opamps... they don't want you to see what has been used etc. The unmarked parts won't be anything magical... I don't mean that in a negative way... it's just the way manufacturers work.
It's a very conventional circuit (there's very little that's really new or radical in audio anyway... most of what we see was thought up decades ago), but the devil is in the detail and the understanding of each and every aspect of the circuit, and optimising each and every part of the design.

You could steam in and replace the output transistors or the drivers or the VAS (those ancient MJE devices) with the latest parts that have a far wider bandwidth etc, but the design may rely in some extent on precisely the "slower" speed of the old devices for absolute stability... and without altering other components, you might end up with a worse performing amp. The design has to be taken as a whole, not as individual parts.

Just enjoy it :)

Thanks Mooly,

All Electrolytic Caps are being replaced with new 100v 470uf Nichicon FG caps, there not available in the top of the line KZ series. Black Gates are ridiculously way tooooo expensive (1=$50). Mundorf hookup wire & binding post's that I have laying around are also being installed.

One of the right side caps was leaking.

Good call Nigel & Mooly.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.