Shorted capacitor terminals on a board? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th April 2010, 12:34 AM   #1
mtl777 is offline mtl777  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Shorted capacitor terminals on a board?

Hey guys, sorry for this newbie question. Is it possible to have a good working circuit in which the (+) and (-) terminals of a capacitor are shorted? I'm wondering because a board that I'm working on has a capacitor whose terminals are shorted when I check with the DMM, but I can't see any visible traces connecting the (+) and (-) terminals. I don't have a schematic and will have to remove a LOT of components to be able to trace the circuit, which I wouldn't want to do, and besides, the board is double layered and difficult to trace.

Even when I remove the capacitor and check for continuity between the two holes where the capacitor was soldered, I find that they are shorted. I'm wondering if I accidentally shorted something else in the circuit that is causing this capacitor to short. It seems strange to me, but then I am new to this. I would be more than happy to know that this is possible and is normal on some circuits.

Your help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 27th April 2010, 01:57 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Did you check around the cap if there is a transformer near by? I say this because sometimes there are many parts that when you read a cap you are reading something else in the circuit too. Just take the cap out and read the cap for short not where the cap was.
Old 27th April 2010, 03:16 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Did you check around the cap if there is a transformer near by? I say this because sometimes there are many parts that when you read a cap you are reading something else in the circuit too. Just take the cap out and read the cap for short not where the cap was.
Yes, there is a transformer nearby. I checked the cap, taken out of the board, and it has no short. The two holes where the cap was are the ones that are shorted. So this is alright?
Old 27th April 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
Yes, there is a transformer nearby. I checked the cap, taken out of the board, and it has no short. The two holes where the cap was are the ones that are shorted. So this is alright?
Yes, it is all right!. you were reading something else like the transformer or something else in the circuit.That is why I always check the caps out of boards or just unsolder one leg from board and test them. I use an ESR meter (creative Electronics) it is one of the best and accurate machine to check for dry caps.
Old 27th April 2010, 03:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is my ESR meter. http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/creative/esr
Old 27th April 2010, 03:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchile View Post
Yes, it is all right!. you were reading something else like the transformer or something else in the circuit.That is why I always check the caps out of boards or just unsolder one leg from board and test them. I use an ESR meter (creative Electronics) it is one of the best and accurate machine to check for dry caps.
That's really good to know, and gives me a great sigh of relief! Thank you so much!!
Old 27th April 2010, 03:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
That's really good to know, and gives me a great sigh of relief! Thank you so much!!
I am glad I could help you.Take care.

Hide this!Advertise here!